Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Panhard bar: Rod ends?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default Panhard bar: Rod ends?

I am looking to get a panhard bar for my 07GT. Currently I have BMR adjustable LCA's, and a BMR fixed UCA, and I will soon be installing roush rear lowering springs. I was planning to get a BMR adjustable panhard bar with poly ends but I just found out I have a few split BMR poly bushing on my LCA's. I have contacted BMR and should be getting free replacements but after a bunch of reading I am now a little leary as they seem to split bushings all the time.

So I decided to try a CHE panhard bar instead. They offer 2 different setups for the street and I was curious as to which would suit me better.

One is a poly bushing on the bodyside and axle side.

The other is a poly on the body side and a rod end on the axle side.

I was thinking about going with the poly/rod end set up so I have one less poly bushing to worry about. If the only repercussion is a slightly louder rear suspension I am ok with that. Besides that, is there anything else I have to worry about with a rod end?

My car should be putting out about 450rwhp and will see the track on occassion on DR's or ET Streets.

This is the last suspension mod I plan on doing.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Go Poly/Rod End setup.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:41 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hopefully the suspension guys will
weigh in...

me, i think since this is your DD, NVH should
be kept to a minimum
Old 09-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Any reason you didn't give Steeda a try?
Old 09-01-2008, 04:40 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Wasnt really looking at the steeda, any reason why it is better than the CHE?

I was kind of sold on the CHE because of the rod end. Looking to stay away from the poly's because of the breakage problems.

So any more input on what bushings I should go with?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have a poly/rod adj Spohn PHB and a rod end adj Spohn UCA. Overall I didn't really notice any increase in NVH. However, there is one exception, there is a very slight rattling at about 70 MPH in 5th gear. I'm pretty sure its the UCA. Its not bad and and at this point I have no regrets. I have read that rod ends will increase in noise over time. Currently I have about 6-7K very hard miles on them. I'll see how it goes, if the rattling doesn't get much worse by 20-25K then I'm sold and will use them in the future, I can always replace the rod ends if it gets too bad.

One note - if you have or are planning on a aluminum driveshaft then I'd recommed you stay away from the rod ends. You can read other posts on the subject but the general consensus is they don't play well together.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Hmm interesting, I had not heard that about use with the Alum D/S.

I dont have one currently but it is a future mod I think I will do. I was scared off in the short term after hearing about people with vibrations they cant get rid of. Most see it around 80mph, and that is were I cruise on the highway everyday on the way to work.

I wasnt looking for a project, so I decided to stay with the stocker for a while until I am ready to work the issue if it comes up.

I guess I will go with the CHE poly's for now and see how it goes. I believe I could always switch to a rod end later if I have a problem with them splitting.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
I am looking to get a panhard bar for my 07GT. Currently I have BMR adjustable LCA's, and a BMR fixed UCA, and I will soon be installing roush rear lowering springs. I was planning to get a BMR adjustable panhard bar with poly ends but I just found out I have a few split BMR poly bushing on my LCA's. I have contacted BMR and should be getting free replacements but after a bunch of reading I am now a little leary as they seem to split bushings all the time.

So I decided to try a CHE panhard bar instead. They offer 2 different setups for the street and I was curious as to which would suit me better.

One is a poly bushing on the bodyside and axle side.

The other is a poly on the body side and a rod end on the axle side.

I was thinking about going with the poly/rod end set up so I have one less poly bushing to worry about. If the only repercussion is a slightly louder rear suspension I am ok with that. Besides that, is there anything else I have to worry about with a rod end?

My car should be putting out about 450rwhp and will see the track on occassion on DR's or ET Streets.

This is the last suspension mod I plan on doing.

Thanks for the input.
We will be offering a poly/rod combo pan hard rod in the very near future. I also sent a pm.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Poly/rod PHB's:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=79&ModelID=5
or
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=79&ModelID=5
Old 09-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I like the 244 model myself, I'd get that one

You WILL get some additional noise/vibration from that set-up, but worth it to me as I have the same ends on mine.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Panhard bar: Rod ends?