Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steel Braided Brake Line. Front or all four?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Default Steel Braided Brake Line. Front or all four?

Just about to put some GT500 Brembos on the front of the car, and need to know if it will even make a difference to do the rear steel braided brake lines. I want them up front FOR SURE, but don't want to waste the extra money on the rears, since the fronts will do most of my stopping. Opinions?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The GT500 kit includes all 4 SS lines, i.e. front and back, and the caliper and dust shield bolts. At least mine did - PN M-2300-S. It also included rear pads.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:20 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

I bought mine used. no lines or rear pads.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

What are you using the "brembos" for? If they are just for street bling you don't need SS lines. If you car is going to see time on a road course then SS lines are a good thing.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
What are you using the "brembos" for? If they are just for street bling you don't need SS lines. If you car is going to see time on a road course then SS lines are a good thing.
Well, it's not going to be used for "street bling." I push a lot of power and need to stop it.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

My opinion is you’d be penny wise and pound foolish to only do the fronts. A set of four ss lines is not that much more than the two. Even with the proportioning valve, I think you would be increasing the risk of rear line rupture by only doing the fronts (albeit small given you’re not using the car on a race track). Plus you’d be missing out on the firm pedal feel the ss lines give. I would (I did) do both.

When installing the lines, be sure you know the torque requirements of the bolts that connect the lines to the caliper. Most aftermarket bolts can’t take anywhere near the 50 foot pounds specified for the stock bolts.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AZAlloy
Well, it's not going to be used for "street bling." I push a lot of power and need to stop it.
Horsepower isn't controlled by the brakes the gas pedal does that.

Originally Posted by Red06
My opinion is you’d be penny wise and pound foolish to only do the fronts. A set of four ss lines is not that much more than the two.
That is kind of what I was getting at. Any guy that tracks his car isn't going to short himself on brakes.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

kind of on topic, but kind of off... what brand SS Lines are everyone running? i see braided lines from Earls, Stop-Tech, Steeda, J&M, etc... any major differences or just get the cheapest you can find?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
kind of on topic, but kind of off... what brand SS Lines are everyone running? i see braided lines from Earls, Stop-Tech, Steeda, J&M, etc... any major differences or just get the cheapest you can find?
Steeda here. I got them thinking they would be the best fit, best engineered solution. However, I think the rears are too short. They are very taut when lifting the rear of the car.

Last edited by Red06; 09-24-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
Goodrich here, perfect fit, all needed harware, very high quality.

Quick Reply: Steel Braided Brake Line. Front or all four?