Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

strut tower braces?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Gr8T STANG
1st Gear Member

Question strut tower braces?

I am thinking about getting a strut tower brace. I haven't made any modifications to the suspension at all and probably won't. I just don't want a harsh ride. I would like to get rid of some of the body roll though. So I might get better sway bars but thats probably all.
My question is will a strut tower brace realy help? If this is the only mod you've done to your suspension I would like to know if you could tell any differance.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I noticed the improvement on my convertible with the Edelbrock 3 point brace, $125.00. I don't know if it will help as much on a coupe.

The windshield wipers have to be removed to install the steel reinforcement plate behind the firewall.

Last edited by Margarita Girl; 10-07-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I would think that only the experienced driver pushing the car to its limits may be able to tell a difference. Otherwise, mostly for looks.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Probably the biggest benefit to STBs in the S197 is the reduction in "cowl shake", which is most noticeable in convertibles. Cowl shake is not the same as roll, but can happen simultaneously with it.

They add only a small amount of local chassis stiffening and don't directly do anything to resist roll. That's the job of roll center heights, springs, and sta-bars. And strut/shock damping during the times that the chassis is in the process of rolling from one position to another.

Norm
Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

mm....vert vs coupe should be the same considering the chassis on the S197 was designed from the ground up to take the vert into consideration. Unlike the Sn95 where they built the coupe and simply cut the top off for the vert.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

To be sufficiently strong for use as a convertible platform and be able to use most of the same stampings is one thing. But stiffness and NVH performance is something else entirely, so being "designed from the ground up" does not mean that the stiffness and vibration performance will be identical, convertible vs coupe. I can pretty much guarantee it won't be, actually.

Continuity of the load paths through the roof (ever notice that the drip rail and windshield header areas are not simple mostly flat single sheet stampings?) makes a huge difference in how well the A-pillars are able to support the cowl for both stiffness and vibrations. When you cut the roof off, no loads can go up the A-pillar and there is no resistance to windshield deflections at the roof level. Meaning that everything else moves just a bit more when the car structure is "shaken" by road conditions and driver control inputs.

Norm
(my day job involves structural analysis)

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-07-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

They're great to hang the motor from when you change your k-member and/or motor mounts....LOL
Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
They're great to hang the motor from when you change your k-member and/or motor mounts....LOL
Ha, I've read that before, was that a Corner-Carvers quote?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:16 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

I got a STB on my 07 rag and noticed no actual gains... I put it on more as a preventaitve to future creaks and rattles
Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 PM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

I always hear the real racer guys talk about removing their STB's when they go to the track.......the conventional wisdom being that the car launches better without the STB

Quick Reply: strut tower braces?