Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

traction problems?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Here is a link that explains LCAs and LCA relocation brackets and how they should be set http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm
To be more specific .. To those running Steeda Relocation brackets... how much can I set them down towards the axle to improve traction without killing my ride quality? Just curios what others are running there's at on the street. IE. one hole down from level etc.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

i would set your angle on the relocation brackets and get an adjustable upper. The PHB wont really help with traction off the line. It locates the rear end and helps with cornering stresses keeping the axel right. Save the PHB for later and get the upper.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronniebgt
All my mods are in my sig but i dont really understand why im having such terrible traction problems. Even on very good surfaces and weather i cant seem to get any traction in first or second gear from a dig or a roll. my tires are 285/35/18 eagle F1 gs-d3 with good tread... any ideas? (Like it says in my sig i have sportlines, adjustable panhard bar and bmr lcas

You have many problems here. Let's start with the obvious, first is tire choice and tire size. Look for a gripy drag oriented tire at least 27" tall, tires up to 27.7 work great but if you get much taller the fronts will rub depending on the drop and wheel offset. Eagle F1 GS-D3's are not for drag launches they are a cornering tire. Look into Nitto DR's or M/T Streets if you only go straight.

Next is your Sportline springs, they are just stupid low and your suspension is sitting bottomed out all the time on the bump stops so guess what, your suspension is not working as it should and you are loosing grip. Go back to stock or a sport spring that lowers the car 1" at most and readjust your LCA's in the LCA brackets appropriately.

Your LCA's may be adjusted incorrectly, you want the LCA's to be parallel with the ground when on level ground for the best dynamic handling. For a drag use you want the LCA's to point downhill towards the rear axle for best drag launch grip. BUT be forewarned that if the LCA's are set pointed downhill much more than a couple of degrees on the street if you have to make an emergency manuver you may be in for a big nasty surprise with sharp oversteer you can't catch that turns into a spin.

Oh, and get some adjustable dampers to help you control weight transfer. D-Specs seem to work fine for a wide range of user from drag racers to road racer and are quite a bit cheaper than Koni Sports. Konis Sports are a very good street and road course damper but cannot be adjusted to work as well for a drag application.

HTH!

Last edited by F1Fan; 11-10-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

wow thanks for coming back F1
good info
Old 11-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
wow thanks for coming back F1
good info
You can say that again!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
You can say that again!

Thanks guys! I missed a lot of the people here the last few months.

Hey Stoenr, I drove up to Willowsprings International two weeks ago for the Pantera track day but got rained out! Sigh... next season I guess.

Cheers!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

No such thing as rained out track days, lol!
Year before last I was running a track day in a down pour all day.
Was running the F1 GS D3's, they stuck like glue! Full out puddles seemed like nothing was even there.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Sportlines aren't good for anything but tuckin dubs yo.................
Old 11-11-2008, 05:24 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
Sportlines aren't good for anything but tuckin dubs yo.................

Can I get an Amen Brother?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
No such thing as rained out track days, lol!
Year before last I was running a track day in a down pour all day.
Was running the F1 GS D3's, they stuck like glue! Full out puddles seemed like nothing was even there.

At Willow Springs they don't let you go out for anything more than 55MPH parade laps behind the safety car unless the line is dry due to the rivers of water and sometimes mud across the track in the hilly sections. There were plenty of Ferrari's and C6's spinning off due to the track conditions. All of the Panteras, most of the S197 Mustangs, Shelby GT350s and Cobras just sat and watched the show. There was a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S hauling in a C6 Z51 during the 10 minutes they let the red group out but that was short lived as the skies just opened up and that was that for Saturday. Sunday I understand they had a clear day and the race was run.

Quick Reply: traction problems?!?