Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

new shocks/struts a must for Steeda springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 PM
da75

Default new shocks/struts a must for Steeda springs?

seeing conflicting info on this .. is it absolutely essential I get new shocks when installing the Ultralite springs, or can I install just the springs with the old shocks and wait a while on before doing new ones?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

I lowered my car with the ultralite springs about 2 years ago, still have my stock shocks and about 30,000 miles with no problems.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:44 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by da75
seeing conflicting info on this .. is it absolutely essential I get new shocks when installing the Ultralite springs, or can I install just the springs with the old shocks and wait a while on before doing new ones?

I gotta warn you, this is not the ideal setup for handling or ride. That said you can get away with it for a little while but if you drive the car much and know what a good handling car feels like you will not like the way the car works much and you will hate the ride. It really doesn't make any sense to go this route if you plan to install performance dampers because you are in essence paying twice for installation of the springs then dampers. The cost of one installation is about the same as a set of good springs like the Steeda's you have picked. Why not pay just once? It's like getting the springs for free.

HTH!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:01 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

For best performance and ride quality the struts and shocks should be changed, and it does save you labor to do it together. Will the stock shocks work? Yes they will. Especially if the car is still fairly new. However as the shocks wear they will have a harder time dampening a higher rate spring set up, so eventually the shocks will need to be replaced. If you can do it up front it will save you time and money.

Gus
Old 11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Unless you race, the stock dampeners are fine.

Whenever you feel the need for performance dampeners in the future, upgrade them at that time.

Do the install yourself and save some money.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:27 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Unless you race, the stock dampeners are fine.

Whenever you feel the need for performance dampeners in the future, upgrade them at that time.

Do the install yourself and save some money.

Don't crucify me! The shocks and the dampeners are the same thing??
Bill I've been looking at your spring writeup ALL day ready to pull the trigger haha.

Brenspeed recommended I get an adj. PB/Brace and some relocation brackets to go along w/ the springs. They said it would maximize the handling and traction of the car
Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
Don't crucify me! The shocks and the dampeners are the same thing??
Bill I've been looking at your spring writeup ALL day ready to pull the trigger haha.

Brenspeed recommended I get an adj. PB/Brace and some relocation brackets to go along w/ the springs. They said it would maximize the handling and traction of the car
Yes, struts and shocks fall under the term dampeners.

I know Brent and Seth over at Brenspeed and they are very knowledgeable and good guys to deal with.

As I mentioned, if you frequent the track (enen autocrossing), doing as Brenspeed recommends is a good idea. However, if your car spends 99% of the time on the street, you may not need it.

On my car for example, I have the Ultralites, stock dampeners, and Steeda billet LCA's and it rides great! Of course, ymmv.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
da75

ok.. i have no problem doing it all at once myself. Sounds good , thanks guys.

one question though.. i went to brenspeeds site real quick and see that nothing is sold as a package, so how do you know what shocks and struts to get for the ultralites? different springs lower slightly different amounts so not sure how you determine this if its not offered as a package deal.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Shocks (generically) are dampers. They damp mass and energy stored in a compressed spring. The stock dampers are meant for stock springs, not springs that are shorter and stiffer. Shorter and stiffer both demand more damping control so you actual damp out the energy stored in the spring.

While many think stock shocks and springs are fine, I disagree. In fact I don't like the stock shocks on stock springs. They ride worse, and don't handle as well as a good damper like a Koni (and D-specs aren't hateful either).

In fact, there is no way I'd do sprigns w/o dampers. And in fact my car has stock springs and Koni's because I don't need or want lowering springs for my GT's daily use, but demand control and a car that does what I expect and ask without the nervous and jumpy nature of the stock shocks. And I make this point often, because it matters. My girlfriend's Mustang has the same bars and the same springs, but the OEM shocks. We never take her car anywhere because mine is easier to drive, more stable, and rides better.

I do not buy the 'unless you race' thinking about dampers. In fact a car has not the foggiest idea if it's "being raced". Does the car somehow weigh more when it's being raced? Are the bumps and dips and brake dive and roll not present on public roads? It's not racing that demands more damping, it's control. Just so happens that those that like to drive fast want better control...

And you don't need a PHB brace, or relocation brackets. Setting aside dampers, you don't even need an adjustable PHB, though it's highly recommended because without it the body is set off center vs. the axle a bit. I've been working with PHB equipped cars for years now (longer than the S197 has been around). The stock brace is fine IMO, even on much stickier tires than what folks would run on the street.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by da75
ok.. i have no problem doing it all at once myself. Sounds good , thanks guys.

one question though.. i went to brenspeeds site real quick and see that nothing is sold as a package, so how do you know what shocks and struts to get for the ultralites? different springs lower slightly different amounts so not sure how you determine this if its not offered as a package deal.

If you buy adjustable D-Specs or Koni Sports most any spring you are likely to buy will work fine. For the most part with S197's as long as you don't lower the car too much your handling and ride will only get better with most of the springs out there. The handling balance will vary depending on the springs selected and the wheel and tire sizes used which is way an adjustable front anti-roll bar is a great thing to have. The biggest single improvement in S197 handling and ride will come from upgrading your stock dampers to an adjustable setup. So if you have to choose between springs or dampers, dampers would be the first thing I would change. Well if handling and ride are what you are after anyway.

Steeda makes three different streetable springs for the stock type struts and rear spring seats, Ultralites, Sport and Comp. Personally I can't feel much if any difference between the Ultralites and Sports. There is a noticable improvement in brake dive and roll between the Steeda Sport and Comps but they are a bit stiffer. The Eibach Pro-Kit springs are somewhere between the Sports and Comps but ultimately have the same spring rate as the linear rate Comp springs do once you are driving the car in the corners and the Eibach's are loaded up and into the working part of the spring. But the Pro-Kit springs are IMO too low and bottom out a lot on rough roads causing bad handling from the rear end mostly.

Stay way from Eibach Sportlines as they are WAY too low to be usable on the street. The Sportlines are trailer queen show car low and downright dangerous on the track.

HTH!

Quick Reply: new shocks/struts a must for Steeda springs?