Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Help Choosing Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Default Help Choosing Tires

Hey guys,

I am in the market for new tires. I need some help, I want the best tires out there. Here is what I am working with:

- '06 GT Automatic Vert
- Saleen Supercharger Stage 2 installed from Breenspeed (411 RWHP and 412 Torque)
- Foose Nitrous Wheels 18" x 8.5"
- LCA's
- Boomtubes

- I need tires to drive on the street. I go to the track once in a great great while, but need something street reliable! This is the crucial component here.... ALSO I ONLY DRIVE THE CAR IN THE SUMMER. I do drive the car in the rain if that matters.

Now the sales guy at Discount Tire recommended Pirelli P-Zero Neros.

What do you guys think? Are there better tires out there? If cost is not an object what would you get for a good street worthy tire?

- Also the sales guy said I can go 2 sizes bigger on the tire size than the rim size and give me better traction and still be ok in terms of the install????? Is this true????

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Last edited by nbd13; 11-17-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i don't know what 2 sizes bigger than a rim is since they're measured differently. P-Zero Nero's are good tires...
Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

For 8.5" wide wheels, 255/45 is about as wide as you can go without straying outside the mfr's recommended width fitment range. That's two sizes bigger than the 235/50's that are OE.

Tire Rack's test of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric look pretty good, particularly in the wet. They're on my own 'short list', for whatever that might be worth.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-18-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spellin
Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I'm running BFG KDW2s and am happy with them on the street and for road course track days.

Note that mine are 285/40/18s on 18 x 9.5 rims but the 255s should be the same other than the smaller footprint.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 PM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I'm running BFG KDW2s and am happy with them on the street and for road course track days.

Note that mine are 285/40/18s on 18 x 9.5 rims but the 255s should be the same other than the smaller footprint.
looking at buying these also...is it true that the road noise sux? is it really that bad? now i'm deciding between BFG KDW2's and NITTO INVO

looks i'm not the only one with this on my mind
Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I have the Nitto Invo's.....and I am very happy with them. They are super quiet/smooth tires, and I feel like I grip the road better than ever.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Two other options, for ultimate summer street tires, just a step below R-Compounds:

1) The new Nitto NT05 - just came out. Its a street tire based on the NT01 R-Compound (which I use on the track). Its a treadwear 200 rating. The NT01s are freaking awesome, so if its anything close to them it will be very good.

2) The Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. I've spoken with several guys using these on race tracks and autoX who love them. I've also read several reviews of them, all glowing.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08

I have the BFG KDW2's too.

I HATE these things.
I slide at the hint of acceleration from a start and I am stock.
Cannot hook PERIOD.

I don't understand it but I am not going with them again.

Anyone else having these probs?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
I have the BFG KDW2's too.

I HATE these things.
I slide at the hint of acceleration from a start and I am stock.
Cannot hook PERIOD.

I don't understand it but I am not going with them again.

Anyone else having these probs?
I can also easily spin them in first gear from a standing start but I doubt if any tire would not do this considering even the stock torque and first gear ratio. I have thus had to learn that the throttle, unilke on my Focus, is not an on/off switch but a variable control.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ruffrydertx
looking at buying these also...is it true that the road noise sux? is it really that bad? now i'm deciding between BFG KDW2's and NITTO INVO

looks i'm not the only one with this on my mind
Yes they are noisier than stock but not significantly so to my ears. Noise is highly subjective and I also read and considered these comments about them being "noisy" but after running them for a full season and six road course track days am more than happy with them.

Quick Reply: Help Choosing Tires