Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

How wide of tire can go on an 18" rim

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
bout this wide
go the other way haha
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtjfCBrtPZM
Old 12-29-2008, 11:59 PM
BigBSP
1st Gear Member

Those 315s on those rims look bizarre.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:52 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

315s... dont take a corner too fast.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:51 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Some times you can run tires wider than your rim size recommends (or even the tire recommends but as Norm stated ...YAW can become a factor due to all that extra sidewall flex . Some tires allow for a higher inflation psi than others do. More psi can give you a little more adjustments in how the tires feel . With max psi you ride more on the center of the tire (over inflation) you will take out a bit of the flex in the tire but you wouldn't of improved yourself over going with the smaller width tire .

Unless you have a car that has no sway bars and has a lot of body roll this method of oversizing and over inflation has no purpose.
(if you must know, oversizing and over inflation has its place on a car with a lot of body roll because as the body rolls so dose the contact patch from center to side to side .I don't know the tech name for this but I call it Tire Contact Camber. ) No advantage on straight lines though
AKA Cheap tune trick
Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

clint with an oversized tire wouldnt you risk blowing the tire off the rim in hard corners??? i understand what your getting at with contact patch.. like a motorcycle
Old 01-01-2009, 12:48 AM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
clint with an oversized tire wouldnt you risk blowing the tire off the rim in hard corners?
By oversize I hope you meant wider like this thread is talking about and not a 12 inch race slick on a 5 inch rim . Then you might have a problem.. I'm talking about a tire that recommends a 9-10 inch rim and putting them on a 8 inch rim (that would only be 1/2 inch on each side over recommendations .< just for an example
Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
. . . with an oversized tire wouldnt you risk blowing the tire off the rim in hard corners???
The issue with over-width tires is primarily one involving sidewall heat, its location, and long-term tire durability. There might be some concern about the inner bead region with pure street tires if you were unwise enough to normally take corners hard with this combination, though.

Norm
Old 01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

ok cool just thought it would be an issue, so half inch over on each side is the limit of ok then?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You won't ever get a recommendation from me to mount tires on wheels below the minimum width listed for the tire size by its specific mfr.

With only one possible and rare exception - you have a nonrepairable flat tire, no spare, absolutely need to get somewhere right now, and there is no properly sized tire available. This is only as a very temporary repair just to get you going and needs to be corrected as soon as you possibly can. Not an OK to keep running on it that way, or an end-run around what I said in the first sentence.

Norm
Old 01-01-2009, 12:42 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

1/2 an inch was just a number thrown out there but If I was buying new tires I wouldn't recommend it. The tire company's know more about there tires than we do . If for some crazy reason you ran upon a nice set of tires for almost nothing $$ and your tires were about to pop. You could put tires on there that would get you were you need to go. 1/2 inch may be to much ,1/4 inch on each side and never let your air pressure get low . Try at your own risk. I would hate for something to happen to you. I wouldn't want any blood on my hands. Save up some money and get some rims. That would be the safest way to go.

Quick Reply: How wide of tire can go on an 18" rim