Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Road Racing Suspension Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Default Road Racing Suspension Discussion

Hey everyone,

I wanted to have a discussion about the suspension for road racing.

Here's some background on my car:

- '06 GT auto vert
- Daily driver during the summer months (stored in the winter)
- 18" x 8" Chrome Foose Nitrouse Wheels
- Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires
- Saleen Stage 2 Supercharger installed by Brenspeed 412 RWHP and 412 Torque
- BMR GT BILLET LOWER CONTROL ARMS

I am looking to upgrade my suspension a little bit, but I am not sure what else to do? The only thing is since this is my daily driver, I cannot have a super stiff suspension because I cannot be boucning around every day. But, I would like something that will give me a better suspension over the stock suspension when I decide to do a little road racing or take it to an auto x event.

So, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Everything is a tradeoff. RTFB

Two big difference makers that still give you considerable control of the 'stiffness' you build into the chassis:

- Wider wheels/tires.
- New, adjustable dampers (lots of people like the Tokico D-Specs and Koni Yellows)

You might try that and see if it's enough. Lots more you can do from there but generally you begin to more seriosuly affect your stock ride quality.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:45 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

maybe just because i have a base v6 sways did me a huge difference
Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

If you are going to run in sanctioned events then you should find out what classes you can run in and what the modification rules are for the sanctioning body. This may affect the mods you make.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:59 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

With it being a vert, auto, and having a SC, you have a heavy car.

The three best things for all that mass is wider wheels and tires, adj shocks like the D-specs and Konis as mentioned earlier, and the GT500 sways or some brand. You may also want to get a set of the GT500 LCA's to control all that wheel hop you must have post SC. Those are not the best but a cheap alternative.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:51 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Lets see here.....you want to (a) have your cake, (b) AND eat it too, (c) AND have a big titted blonde jump out of it?

I know I have a loud and vulgar mouth but I wont bull**** you or lead you astray with "i've heard", "i've read", AFAIK, etc.

You have the wrong car for your stated purpose. I know it sucks but that's reality. You bought a 'vert with an automatic. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Having said that -

If you plan to take your car out on a road course it must have a rollbar. Since you have an automatic you will be all kinds of goofed up, and your brakes will cook fast. (I expect SoundGuyDave to chime in because he has an auto)

Your best bet is to fumble through some autox events, which wont require a rollbar, but will be less aggravating since you wont need to be shifting.

I would start with a set of dampers and little else. If you get bit by the bug that everyone else does you will either be spending a LOT of cash on a manual swap, or trading your current car in for a manual model.

The simple fact that you are looking for directions on here already implies that the car currently has more ability than you. Go out and have fun with the car, and then decide what you need to go faster. MANY people blow their wad on suspension, brakes, etc, only to find out real quick that a set of tires should have been their first upgrade.

HTH
Old 01-11-2009, 06:36 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
You have the wrong car for your stated purpose. I know it sucks but that's reality. You bought a 'vert with an automatic. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
That is exactly what I was going to say. Tracking with an auto-tragic car is not desired and in a convertible may not be allowed with most clubs without a roll bar.

The most used up items on a car that is either tracked or auto-crossed is tires and brakes, brakes way more on a road course. They are also probably the simplest upgrades you can make, although by most standards not very attractive. Your "foose" wheels probably weigh a ton in comparison to some less expensive lighter track wheels and will get trashed from the brake dust of some aggressive pads out there. Maybe a set of adjustable dampers from there, that is about it. You have already spent more on that super charger then what a set of brake pads with wheels and tires would cost.