Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowered? Regrets? Bottomed out? I did :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:37 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

My understanding would be that the shocks and struts wouldnt directly affect ride height. The springs do settle over time and drop the height a little, although it shouldnt be much. If the shocks are "failing" they might affect the height but again it wouldnt be much.

The pressure it takes to move a shock is very little compared to that of a spring. You can use your hands to compress a shock but you cant do the same to the springs. Like stated they are dampers more or less and are not "holding" the car up really. With the stock setup and new springs they will wear out faster which generally would lead to a rougher ride.

I have FRPP springs which are the same as what you have really, I ran the stock shocks and struts for a year without any issues at all like you describe. I did upgrade to Tokicos and saw no difference in the ride height when i did the change.

Once the springs have settled, the ride height should not change at all

Last edited by howarmat; 01-15-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

I hate it when my azz is draggin!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

im trying to get some d specs right now...anyone selling theres?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I agree with xxDerek, lose the stock shocks and your problems should be gone.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

I've been lowered since I bought her with HHR's, and have consistent problems scraping speed bumps. I accept the occasional scraping though, and when I get pissed that people don't make roads and driveways for my car, I remember that if it were "stock" I wouldn't be having a problem!

Just my two cents...it's why I also own a F150 SuperCrew 4X4 lifted! When speedbumps get me down, I take them down with that beast!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM
stang5151
2nd Gear Member

I'm running BMR springs and Tokico HPs. The solution for me was a bigger tire - more sidewall = more height, and the scraping is gone when going over speed bumps. My ride improved as well.

I'm running 295/45/18s in back and 255/50/17s up front. Prior to that I had 275/40/18's in back and 245/40/17s in front. The new tires gave me nearly an inch - which is huge. Also they filled the wheel wells better as well.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang5151
I'm running BMR springs and Tokico HPs. The solution for me was a bigger tire - more sidewall = more height, and the scraping is gone when going over speed bumps. My ride improved as well.

I'm running 295/45/18s in back and 255/50/17s up front. Prior to that I had 275/40/18's in back and 245/40/17s in front. The new tires gave me nearly an inch - which is huge. Also they filled the wheel wells better as well.

Good luck.
Thats my plan. I scrap at least twice a week but it is just on the pipes that run from the muffler to my side skirt. No really bad scratches there but they do sound baddddd when it happens. I am going with a bigger tire in the back and will adjust my speedo with my tuner when I get it next month. I love my car's stance and dont watn to change it much so I am goin with a 40 series tire rather than the 30 series I have now.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Your car is lowered...you can't go around jumping intersections man .

Since lowering, I have completely changed the way I drive the car (taking it really slow over speed bumps, taking grade changes at an angle, not pulling fully into spaces with parking stones...etc.)

The springs on your car have already settled so that may account for at most 0.25". The springs hold the car up while the shocks/struts only control the vertical movement. Over time if the springs start to fail, more pressure is applied to the dampers to do the springs job of holding up the car. So technically the car should get lower and easily bottom out more. Not saying that is your problem but it is a possibility. The factory damper where not designed to be used on lowered cars, while the Dspecs are.
Changing rim sizes wouldn't really help because if you went with a larger rim(18" or 19") you would normally have to compensate by getting a tire with a shorter sidewall. IMO you should first replace the shocks/struts...it would greatly improve the ride and provide great stability.

I have H&R Super Sport Springs (same as xxDerek) and have not had any issues at all, but keep in mind I have Dspecs and upgraded almost all my suspension parts. I scraped once(the first day) taking a speed bump to fast...lesson learned , and haven't scraped since. I love the ride & look and have never second guessed my decision.
Good luck.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

See now you guys got me thinking. The reason I said all that danbev is because a buddy of mine in my club has an 07 convertible like I said with the Intrax springs. He has said, and I have seen it visually in person because we meet once a week, the ride is getting gradually worse and worse, and his car is getting LOWER and LOWER... I'm wondering if because his shocks are shot that the springs are beginning to fail and sag???? Interesting.....
Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by degeze
Your car is lowered...you can't go around jumping intersections man .

Since lowering, I have completely changed the way I drive the car (taking it really slow over speed bumps, taking grade changes at an angle, not pulling fully into spaces with parking stones...etc.)

The springs on your car have already settled so that may account for at most 0.25". The springs hold the car up while the shocks/struts only control the vertical movement. Over time if the springs start to fail, more pressure is applied to the dampers to do the springs job of holding up the car. So technically the car should get lower and easily bottom out more. Not saying that is your problem but it is a possibility. The factory damper where not designed to be used on lowered cars, while the Dspecs are.
Changing rim sizes wouldn't really help because if you went with a larger rim(18" or 19") you would normally have to compensate by getting a tire with a shorter sidewall. IMO you should first replace the shocks/struts...it would greatly improve the ride and provide great stability.

I have H&R Super Sport Springs (same as xxDerek) and have not had any issues at all, but keep in mind I have Dspecs and upgraded almost all my suspension parts. I scraped once(the first day) taking a speed bump to fast...lesson learned , and haven't scraped since. I love the ride & look and have never second guessed my decision.
Good luck.
A HUGE +1 on that, I had to change my entire driving style on the streets, but you def get used to it. I have yet to rub a parking curb or scrape BAD on anything...

Quick Reply: Lowered? Regrets? Bottomed out? I did :-(