Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

question on Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Default question on Tire wear

Ok. I've got about 25K miles on my stock tires. And surprisingly, they're doing pretty well. Only a little life left but because they've stopped giving me hours at work, I can't afford a new set just yet. I only drive about 2mi a day anyway so they'll last a few months the way I drive.

Here's the question. I have a lowered car. The rear tires are more worn than the front. Rear's have an even wear whereas the front has less tread on the inside because of the change in camber from the lowering. I read somewhere that it was smarter to leave the tread up front for grip when it rains(ie: taking a turn, even at a low speed, we don't understeer into a wall or something) but should I move rotate them anyway because we have 300hp that needs grip?

Thanks for any input in advance.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I guess that would depend on if you drive maily straight roads or not... and if you deal with slippery roads much...
Old 01-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

My personal preference is to always keep the best pair of tires on the front. If I get in too hard or fast then they may save me.

The control of the HP is by my right foot so it is up to me how much is being used at any time.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

the tires with most tread should always go on the rear.

when i was in high school i got a new pair of tires put on my rear-drive car. the tire shop correctly put them on the rear. it was winter and i told them i was more concerned about stopping then starting and had the new tires moved to the front. i'm sure the tech was like, "whatever pimply-faced know it all". so i'm driving down the road in the snow and what happens? my rear-end gets loose and i do a 180 down the road.

i remember a representative from michelin writing into motor trend about some bad advice they gave, which was to put newer tires on the front. the letter from michelin said to put newer tires on the rear.

also, from an article of police fleet manager sept 2007. both goodyear and bridgestone-firestone said to put new tires on the rear:

"Second, when you put just two new tires on a car, put them on the rear. Under slippery conditions, better tires on the rear prevent oversteer, even in FWD cars."

http://www.hendonpub.com/publication...efleetmanager/

Last edited by timothyrw; 01-25-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:28 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

25k wow.

on the 17 inch bullits, i got to 15k and i'm below 2mm of tread left. what a pain. does anyone happen to know why they gave mustangs mud and snow tires for the 17 inch pirellis?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

timothyrw

I stand corrected. Thank you.

After further research I also found this article that says to always put the new ones on the back and talks about their experience trying both http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

I guess my new pair of KFW2s go on the back.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:54 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:11 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

idk i think im still gonna keep the good ones on the front as it seems better to have over vrs understeer and the braking is more important then going and most braking comes from the front
Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

If you have a staggered set of wheels you won't have this problem.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I would much rather have tread in the front if it rains. Losing the front end does not leave many options for recovery other than eating a curb etc. My car ate the inner tread on my Nitto's to the point the chord was showing. I couldnt tell since the rest of the tire was perfect. I now have MM camber plates to fix the issue and new tires.

Quick Reply: question on Tire wear