Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

rear suspension upgrade under $3000 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlideWRX
Yeah, the drive by wire throttle is very sensitive- Ford puts it in as they think people see this as 'sporty response'. In some cars if you give it half throttle, you will get a lot out; then give it full throttle and there wasn't much left. It makes the car feel sporty because of the engine response, but makes half the throttle useless. That is something I definitely want to change on my own car.
Oh OK . I assume the v6s are the DBW too.
How would you go about changing this if it became an issue ?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Send Mark an email at mortiz49 at @earthlink dot net and ask to be added to the list of subscribers.

To make the DBW more user-friendly up near the limits of lateral grip you'd at least have to know what its logic is, slow down its initial tip-in, and probably dial out any anticipation based on how fast your foot is trying to add throttle. You don't want it trying to guess what you're up to.

We're all students.

Norm
Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Send Mark an email at mortiz49 at @earthlink dot net and ask to be added to the list of subscribers.

To make the DBW more user-friendly up near the limits of lateral grip you'd at least have to know what its logic is, slow down its initial tip-in, and probably dial out any anticipation based on how fast your foot is trying to add throttle. You don't want it trying to guess what you're up to.

We're all students.

Norm
Thanks for the subscribers tip.

So I take it that DBW is a parameter that is accessible with the right tuning software / equipment ?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The February 2009 Chassis Newsletter might be of some interest even though it concerns front suspensions. I could forward it and/or attach a zipfile of other Newsletters if you wish. PM your e-mail if interested.

Tinkering with the DBW is something that I imagine is possible for those in the business of writing custom PCM tunes. Crudely, you need to develop different correlations between the three variable resistances at the pedal and what you want the throttle position to be. Tuning probably works with the voltages coming in to the PCM (after dropping across those resistances) referred to (I'm guessing) a 5-volt input.

Norm
Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Would it be possible to reprogram the PCM to deliver a linear relationship between pedal travel and throttle? If there is, I might be giving Brenspeed a call for a new tune, the lack of linear response has always pissed me off...
Old 02-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
Would it be possible to reprogram the PCM to deliver a linear relationship between pedal travel and throttle? If there is, I might be giving Brenspeed a call for a new tune, the lack of linear response has always pissed me off...
Try giving them a call as they should know the answer.

I have a vague recollection of seeing somewhere that custom tunes can/do address the issue.