Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

one time use bolts? + camber question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

Default one time use bolts? + camber question

I'm going to be buying a suspension setup soon and want to make sure I have everything i'll need. from past experiences with other cars i've owned, the suspension sometimes has one time use "stretch" bolts. do our cars have anything like that? If so, what do i need to buy to replace them?

also, I'm going to be getting some camber bolts, but it is my understanding these are only for the front of the car. how do i adjust the rear camber issues (if there are any)?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

The ford service manual will insist on replacing the hardware, which is ridiculously priced (it would cost $100 in hardware to do a spring/strut installation). It does not say anywhere that the bolts are torque-to-yield, although there are sources on the net that claim this, it is unverified in my eyes. Consensus is re-using them once is OK. I feel this is more of a Ford CYA policy than anything else (and a make more money policy).

For instance, everytime you align the front end, are you going to replace the strut to spindel bolts?

There is no camber adjustment possible on the rear end, it's a solid axle remember.

I wouldn't recommend camber bolts, it's easy for them to move and ruin your alignment. Get adjustable mounts or camber plates.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
The ford service manual will insist on replacing the hardware, which is ridiculously priced (it would cost $100 in hardware to do a spring/strut installation). It does not say anywhere that the bolts are torque-to-yield, although there are sources on the net that claim this, it is unverified in my eyes. Consensus is re-using them once is OK. I feel this is more of a Ford CYA policy than anything else (and a make more money policy).

For instance, everytime you align the front end, are you going to replace the strut to spindel bolts?

There is no camber adjustment possible on the rear end, it's a solid axle remember.

I wouldn't recommend camber bolts, it's easy for them to move and ruin your alignment. Get adjustable mounts or camber plates.
thanks for the info. I'll just reuse the hardware this one time. I was hoping to get away with camber bolts, as they're only $30 compared to 200+ for plates.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

I bought the steeda adjustable mounts at great expense but they served several purposes, and I have no regrets.

1)It is extremely common for the stock strut mounts to pop or clunk once removed and re-installed. This usually means disassembling the strut again and replacing the mounts with an updated design. The steeda mounts avoid this.

2) The steeda mounts should improve steering feel.
3) They allow for a greater degree of camber adjustment.
4) they make camber adjustment easy, as you no longer have to use bolts or slot struts.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Also - if you reuse the bolts apply blue Loctite.

If you look at your used bolts or some new ones from Ford you will see what appears to be some kind of locking compound on the threads.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UberHax0r
thanks for the info. I'll just reuse the hardware this one time. I was hoping to get away with camber bolts, as they're only $30 compared to 200+ for plates.
I've had camber bolts on since 2006! I live on a bumpy *** dirt road and I fly down it like Bo Duke. Don't fear the camber bolts. I also did not remove the upper strut mount. I just removed the big nut and lowered the arm down.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 AM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UberHax0r

Hello, we offer a set of 2 degree camber bolts that don't move when they are torqued down correctly. They sell for $39.95 per pair. You can also use two sets per side if you need more adjustment. If you have any questions please give me a call.

Last edited by BMRFabricationSales; 03-04-2009 at 09:44 AM.