Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default Wheel hop?

I've noticed that sometimes when I try to launch the car from a dig it will lose traction. But it isn't a graceful loss where the tires kind of slide over the pavement. It feels rough. Like the car is sorta getting traction but it isn't solid. My first guess is wheel hop.

If it is I don't understand. I have Steeda LCA's on the car. Part of the wheel hop package. Stock tires and the car just has an intake/tune 3.55 gears. From what I've read around here it would be pretty strange to have wheel hop with this setup.

http://www.steeda.com/products/stop_the_hop_s197.php

The pavement tends to have some gravel and dirt/dust on it due to the time of year. And it's often pretty cool since temps haven't come up to far over freezing yet.

So what's the deal? Just the road conditions? Something wrong with the car?

Punching it in first from a roll at about 3000rpm it's fine.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:43 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Good question Rip....3 things- maybe it is your pinion angle and the other is "R U running the car with the traction control activated?"...if so turn it off.
Lastly it could just be the roads as they are not very even in many areas throughout the country.... hope it helps...oh and check to see if the poly bushings are cracked too!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Some people have sugested that replacing the upper control arm is a bigger contributor to fixing wheel hop that the LCAs.

Others will suggest changing your shocks is more important.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 03-09-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

It doesn't do it every time and sometimes just a little sometimes much worse. I went for another drive last night and launched the car 4 times. Twice it spun pretty good and and didn't do it at all. The other two times the problem was evident but not as bad as it was earlier that evening. TC is always off.

It's like the car has just enough power and just enough traction to do this depending on how I launch it. Seems like a harmonic thing where if things are just right it'll "resonate". Not sure if that's a good way to describe it.

Why are some cars more prone to this than others? Is something wrong with mine, as in tweaked or broken? It's hard to see the bushings being cracked. Those LCAs just went on a matter of 3-4 months ago and I haven't put that many miles on the car. Suspension wise it's pretty much stock except for the Steeda LCA.

Brenspeed told me that 99% of the time just LCA install will take care of wheel hop. I am shocked to be seeing this behavior out of the car.

Last edited by Riptide; 03-08-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

My understanding is that the more RWHP you have the more likely you are to get wheel hop. I see by your sig that you a a 93 octane tune so I assume this means you are pulling more than the stock HP.

You are probably one of those who would benefit from an aftermaket UCA.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

An UCA might fix the problem. I'm just kind of wondering how it is the problem is there in the first place considering the pretty low power level of my car and the fact it has those steeda LCA on there already.

Doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure that to see most of the wheel hop disappear you need to really replace both the LCA and UCA.

I need to update both. I have just cai + canned tune, but i can't launch hard or shift hard from 1st to 2nd or i have all kinds of traction problems.

These cars are like built for traction bone stock. Pretty much any go mods to these cars makes tires spin and hop like mad.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Brenspeed told me 99% of traction issues are cured by LCA alone.
Originally Posted by Dave@Brenspeed
I have really never seen the lower control arms not cure the wheel hop. In 99% of the cases we have seen the LCA's usually take care of it entirely.
My friend who makes over 450whp didn't even have problems with wheel hop until he started using drag radials. And even then LCA took care of it. Didn't need an UCA.

Look I'm not saying it won't help maybe it's all I need. I have someone who is going for a test drive with me when the snow is off the ground here and I'll get his opinion. If he thinks it is what I think it is then I'll have to get the pinion angle checked and maybe try some relocation brackets. The UCA might be in the cards but only as a last resort.

I just wonder why it is being so finicky about this in the first place vs. most everyone else. Is something wrong with the car.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:27 AM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Brenspeed told me 99% of traction issues are cured by LCA alone.

My friend who makes over 450whp didn't even have problems with wheel hop until he started using drag radials. And even then LCA took care of it. Didn't need an UCA.

Look I'm not saying it won't help maybe it's all I need. I have someone who is going for a test drive with me when the snow is off the ground here and I'll get his opinion. If he thinks it is what I think it is then I'll have to get the pinion angle checked and maybe try some relocation brackets. The UCA might be in the cards but only as a last resort.

I just wonder why it is being so finicky about this in the first place vs. most everyone else. Is something wrong with the car.
Pinion Angle should not be a issue if you are not lowered or anything. Pinion angle only changes if the car is lowered.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

True but then this whole problem shouldn't be an issue in the first place either. If it comes down to grasping at straws then pinion angle is one thing to check.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop?