Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Shock/Strut Recommendation for Rear Only Drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Ruflying74
1st Gear Member

Default Shock/Strut Recommendation for Rear Only Drop

I chimed in on a previous thread about this and got limited response, so I'm posting my own. I have a set of the Roush Rear springs and an Adj. Panhard Bar waiting to be installed. I know I'm going to replace the stock shocks and struts along with them but I need some recommendations on what to get. I am not a hard driver by any means, lowering the back is just for "eye" value. I'm not ever going to be on a track so I felt that Adjustable shocks would be a waste of money for me, whether it be Koni's or Tokico's. Once they were adjusted, I'd never touch em again. I know Koni's make non-adjustables but again, I feel my driving style really doesn't warrant the cost. I'm a "cruiser" not a "cornerer". Since they are Roush rear springs, I've been looking at the Roush Shocks and Struts, approx. $450. I've also been thinking about the FRPP Shocks and struts as well, approx. same cost. Anyone have any opinions?

Also, any problems running the above mentioned upgraded Struts with just the OEM front springs?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

The Roush shocks are specifically designed to work with the Roush springs. The FRPP ones are spec'd for the FRPP springs (same as the Eibach Pro-Kit), which are a larger drop and more stiff. For your purpose, I'd say go with the Roush set.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I did the Roush rears and the Tonkico d-specs. I paid $500 for my d-specs from Tillman Speed, why not spend the extra $50 and get a quality shock/strut combo that is adjustable. Say you get non-adjustable and you think the ride is too hard or too soft, or that the car has too much understeer/oversteer, then what? At least with the d-specs you have the option to charge all this. I've got mine set at 4 in the front and 6 in the rear to correct the rearend from being overly tailhappy.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:00 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Depending on drop in back get the Roush rear springs and switch out all four shocks with Koni's or D-specs
Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I agree. Spend the extra $50 and get the d-specs. I don't do a lot of racing either, but I like the fact that I can adjust the ride as I please. I experimented with the setting until I got what I wanted. Nothing like personalizing your Stang.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

would it be ok not to get new shocks/struts with the roush rear springs??
Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Ruflying74
1st Gear Member

From what I've read, the OEM Ford Shocks can't handle the lowered rear for too long. You might get a year or so out of them but you will eventually notice a decline in ride quality. Then you have pay to get at your rear suspension again so you might as well do it all in one shot.
I had asked previously if replacing the front struts was needed if you are only doing the rear springs. The response I got was you might end up with a "teeter-totter" like effect between your rear and front because your rear is better under control than your front. Just what I've picked up on so far from this forum, hope it helps.
I'm currently trying to research how much just a rear only drop will affect the LCA's and UCA's and whether or not they will have to be addressed?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM
tony351

You really don't have to do anything since you are only a "cruiser". But you could stand to get a panhard bar to re-center your axle. Also, your pinion angle will be off so you can get either an adjustable UCA OR adjustable LCAs to fix that.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:04 PM
shoe48
1st Gear Member

I just installed the rear Roush springs with GT shocks and struts all from New Takeoff , It lower My V6 car about 1 inch in the rear with the front staying the same , As long as the car is not bottoming out I dont see why the shocks would wear any faster ? With sway bars , the car is much more agressive in corners ,, looks and rides Great ,, This of Course was done to a V6 Vert ,, Gt might be different
Old 04-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I've got Roush springs and Koni shocks.

Quick Reply: Shock/Strut Recommendation for Rear Only Drop