Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

installing ford racing k springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Katostangdude

Default installing ford racing k springs

Hi, I'm thinking about getting the ford racing k spring set to get rid of that huge gap between my tires and fenders, is this something i can do or is it recommended to bring it to the shop? also, can i just do the springs? or do i need to get new struts & shocks? I'm just going for the lowered look, dont really care about the actual handling part of it being that I don't race... any input would be appreciated!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I installed the K springs a few weeks ago. Did not do shocks or struts. From what everyone says, eventually you'r stock dampers will wear out prematuraly with shorter springs, so if you can afford it, do it all at once and save yourself the extra work. I was also doing wheels/tires so I couldnt afford the extra money for new dampers so I'll have to dig back in there sooner or later. But for now, it still rides nicely and looks great. You can do it yourself with basic tools, too. You may/will need the following:
Alignment
Camber bolts ( some people say caster/camber plates, but I only needed the bolts. $25)
Adjustable Panhard bar (some people need it, I did not. $140)
Upper strut mounts ( You can buy the SVT mounts from Ford for $70)

Now, I didnt put the strut mounts in, and within a day, I started getting a loud popping from my passenger side mount. I bought the SVT mounts but before I could install the popping went away. So i'm saving them for when i do struts eventually. I would do it right away if I were you. Just save yourself the trouble.

Last edited by ffk_pennywise; 03-30-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

The SEARCH function is your friend.

There are WAY TOO MANY threads on this, including the STICKY at the top of this section.

Last edited by RodeoFlyer; 03-30-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Katostangdude

thanks for the input! i just dropped a chunk of change on new tires & rims, and ffrp stingers, so i really just want to do the springs for now. I found a how-to on mustang monthly and it looks fairly straight forward and simple. prolly do the shocks and struts sometime this summer. I found the ford racing spring set for $160 which i thought was a great deal... so i will prolly order sometime this week... ffk_pennywise, did you get your alignment done after putting your springs in?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

I bought the "K" springs two weeks ago from 50resto.com. I paid $159. Installing the rears was super easy. Installing the front springs was more challenging, but not that big of a deal. I also bought the Eibach Camber Bolts from 50resto.com. Paid $18 and set them up at full positive camber. I'm right at about 0.0 to -0.5 degrees negative camber. I like it like that for maximum tire life since the car is my daily driver.

As far as the rear axle, it is now offset to the right (driver's side) by 0.5", not enough to warrant a panhard bar in my honest opinion, so I haven't bought one.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I installed the springs on Sunday and got an alignment on Monday afternoon. I think my cambers around -.5 too. Got my springs from latemodelrestoration.com and the eibach camber bolts from tire rack.