Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Brakes...

Not sure if this question is most appropriate for this section but here it is. I have stock rotors and pads on my GT and they work fine except when I have a high speed braking situation... Usually smooth, under hard braking from >90 I sense vibration, sort of grinding and very unusual feedback from the pedal, with braking efficiency decreasing to the point it makes me scared... Any idea what might be the culprit?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

If you do a review of recent, in the past few weeks, threads in this forum you will find several related to brakes and one covers a situation similar to yours.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Usually if it's a warped rotor, you feel under braking all the time, but usually the harder you're stopping and the faster you're going, the more you feel it. That may be the problem and it's slight enough that you only feel it under hard braking at high speeds. That's the only thing I can think of...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

I browsed the section, no mention of my problem. Its definitely not the "warped" rotor, its more like grinding and fading together, a complete contrast to smooth normal braking from <60 or any short "panic" braking ( as opposed to max deceleration from >90 ). How does your high speed "brake-pedal-to-the floor" feel? Is the fading-grinding normal? On my other cars, the hotter the brakes got the better they worked ( unless going through the repeated stops )...???
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

It's your pads and fluid saying OWW OWW OWW OWW OWW OWW OWW OWWWW!!

If you didn't find any threads you didn't use the search function.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

The culprit might just be the unneccessary need for speeding.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
Usually smooth, under hard braking from >90 I sense vibration, sort of grinding and very unusual feedback from the pedal, with braking efficiency decreasing to the point it makes me scared...

Any idea what might be the culprit?
Fourth line in your sig???

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-24-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 AM
inyadreems
2nd Gear Member

You have 50k miles on the car and this point I would say it's time for a resurface and some new quality pads if you haven't already. In my experience after 20k-25k miles you usually need front brakes on most cars with normal driving.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 AM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Yes, 50k seems a lot, but its my daily driver, and I do highway commute up to 150 miles a day, so its easy on the brakes. I know I still have pads left, but before I do something about brake work I need to know what is the cause of my problems. Do I really need to change the fluid too?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 AM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

i had the same problem with 10k on the clock. resurfacing and swapping out the pads for a better quallity pad made all the difference. i was told it had something to do with the quality of oem pad. new pads did indeed take care of the problem. make sure you "bed" your pads correctly. your stock fluid will be just fine for an occasional hard stop, but nothing more then that. so look into the resurfacing and replacement pads. i used Hawk hps for street use. excellent pad and no dust or squeal.

good Luck

Quick Reply: Brakes...