Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

U M I Suspension parts?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:34 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Default U M I Suspension parts?? HELP!

Hey everyone, Im at The Ford Nationals in Carlisle PA and there is a vender there with some really good prices on the suspension parts. U M I performance.

http://www.umiperformance.com/05mustang

Im looking into getting control arms but ive been told i need the relocation brackets? Are these parts any good ?

Im only going to be here until tomorrow afternoon so Im going to have to make a decision by the morning. So any help would be greatful. He has a bunch of different types of control arms.

If I need any other type of suspension components I would like to know ! Im lowere3d with the eibach pro kit on the stock fan blades.

THANKS !!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Kobie
2nd Gear Member

They are great parts! I recommend the Poly/Spherical LCA's. Poly on the chassis side, rod end on the differential side. Good combination of noise isolation and control. The spherical ends keep the rear end from binding. Sam Strano sells them and is a board regular here.http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=99&ModelID=5
Old 06-20-2009, 12:20 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. . . for the purchase of any LCA's i know to get the adjustable . . but do I need the double adjustable or just the single . . and also, do I need the relocation brackets for sure ?
Like i mentioned before i have the pro kit installed right now.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2009, 12:45 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

you dont need the reloc brackets but they will help you launch
Old 06-20-2009, 01:35 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Adjusting one upper control arm is easier than having to adjust two lower arms.

When lowered, it's definitely a good idea to get relocation brackets to ensure that the control arms are seated at a corrected angle in order to function properly. If the LCA angle is wrong, you still won't get that much better traction off the line, nor will you see as big of a decrease in wheel hop.

I only have Roush rear springs, and I bought the relocation brackets.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:43 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
Adjusting one upper control arm is easier than having to adjust two lower arms.

When lowered, it's definitely a good idea to get relocation brackets to ensure that the control arms are seated at a corrected angle in order to function properly. If the LCA angle is wrong, you still won't get that much better traction off the line, nor will you see as big of a decrease in wheel hop.

I only have Roush rear springs, and I bought the relocation brackets.

So i should get the single adjustable lower and relocation with an adjustable upper as well ?
Old 06-20-2009, 02:34 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
So i should get the single adjustable lower and relocation with an adjustable upper as well ?
Almost all single adjustable LCA's have poly/rod bushings whereas double adjustable LCA's have rod/rod bushings. Poly/rod bushings will give you some increased noise/vibration/harshness (NVH), but an alleviation from bushing binding (which sucks). Rod/rod bushings are typically for race applications where NVH isn't a concern. Rod/rod is not an optimal setup for daily drivers or predominantly street cars because of the dramatic increase in NVH over stock.

Non-adjustable (read: tubular) LCA's typically have poly/poly bushings which retain much of the factory quietness and smoother ride. My LCA's are poly/poly because I didn't need them to be adjustable.

If I were you, I'd get non-adjustable lower control arms and an adjustable upper control arm. The UCA install is kind of tricky, so you may want some help if you're doing it yourself.

The reason you'd need an adjustable upper control arm (or any adjustable control arms at all) is because your pinion angle changed when you lowered your car. You can correct your pinion angle by getting adjustable LCA's or an adjustable UCA. With the UCA, you're only adjusting one component whereas with adjustable LCA's, you have to adjust two components and verify that they're at precisely the same setting.

Don't forget the relocation brackets either!

Links:
http://www.umiperformance.com/1047?category_id=158
http://www.umiperformance.com/1035?category_id=134
http://www.brenspeed.com/cab005.html

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Kobie
2nd Gear Member

Get the single adjustable lowers.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:14 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

double post

my bad

Last edited by 06stangGT; 06-21-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:28 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

East, thanks a lot for the info. Is the main purpose/goal of the adjustable lowers and adjustable upper the same ? Or does each piece "adjust" something different.

Also, do I have to weld them ? It says I should if the car will be "drag raced" How do I know what to adjust it to and where to weld it ?

My main goal is to lower track ET's and have a better launch. .

Quick Reply: U M I Suspension parts?? HELP!