Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering, camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:57 AM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowering, camber adjustment

I lowered my 2006 GT in Jan 2008. Now the front tires are worn to the cords on the inside of the tire - the outside tread is normal. I suspect the lowering reduced in too much negative camber. I have 255/45 18s on aftermarket 18X9 rims.
In addition to 2 new front tires, what is recommended to "fix" this? Do I need camber plates/bolts? Can the front end be aligned adequately with the stock set-up?
I apologize if this has already been answered in previous posts - I did look, but didn't seem to find a post to exactly match my predicament.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by notsofast
I lowered my 2006 GT in Jan 2008. Now the front tires are worn to the cords on the inside of the tire - the outside tread is normal. I suspect the lowering reduced in too much negative camber. I have 255/45 18s on aftermarket 18X9 rims.
In addition to 2 new front tires, what is recommended to "fix" this? Do I need camber plates/bolts? Can the front end be aligned adequately with the stock set-up?
I apologize if this has already been answered in previous posts - I did look, but didn't seem to find a post to exactly match my predicament.
Are you sure its the camber and not the toe? Lowering the car will change both, too much toe out will scrub the inside of your tires bad. There are ways to check this yourself, google it. Its also easy to adjust.

If it is the camber then I'd ask, how much do you want to spend? The cheapest solution is to get a set of eccentric camber bolts. They go in the bottom of the strut where it mounts to the spindle. If you are interested in a better solution, I have a set of used J&M camber plates sitting in my basement. They replace the stock upper strut mounts and give not only a much more solid mount (i.e. eliminates common "thunk" noises) but also very easy adjustability. They are in great shape. PM me if interested.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

If you didn't lower it too much, then camber bolts can fix the camber issue.
And yes you can roughly check the camber yourself, but it sounds like you are way under (too much negative camber), and you need something to correct it. Plates are the best solution, but camber bolts ($20 a set) are reasonable and work well, too, if they can provide the amount of adjustment you need. I used Eibach bolts to adjust mine, but it was only off by 0.75* on each side after lowing the front 1".

And toe should be checked/adjusted as mentioned as well.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 AM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Argonaut, tx zstang - thank for your help and comments. After I get the new tires installed I will have the alignment checked. My only concern is whether a generic alignment shop will be able to install camber bolts or camber plates - I guess I'll ask them and see what they say.
Argonaut, do the shocks need to be removed to install the camber plates? (Please , no laughing....) If so, this might provide an excuse to upgrade from OEM shocks to adjustables.
Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by notsofast
Argonaut, tx zstang - thank for your help and comments. After I get the new tires installed I will have the alignment checked. My only concern is whether a generic alignment shop will be able to install camber bolts or camber plates - I guess I'll ask them and see what they say.
Argonaut, do the shocks need to be removed to install the camber plates? (Please , no laughing....) If so, this might provide an excuse to upgrade from OEM shocks to adjustables.
Thanks again.
Yes - to install adjustable camber plates requires the entire strut to be removed from the car. The camber plate replaces the stock non-adjustable one currently on the top of your struts. I did it all myself and found it to be pretty straightforward. Then I took it to a run of the mill tire shop and they were clueless, as if they had never seen an adjustable system (and there was at least 4 guys I talked to). I had to stand in the shop and walk the tech thru how to adjust. I should have walked out and went to a better shop. Note - improved dampers are an excellent investment. Makes a big difference in ride and handling...highly recommend you bite the bullet and get some. And, while you are in there install the camber plates - I'll sell my used ones for $150 (thats a great savings over buying new and these are in excellent shape). Good luck - no matter what path you take.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Just how far did you lower the front? Or what kit did you use? I use a Eibach Pro kit and had no problem addjusting the neg-camber back out to normal.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

CutterWolf,
I used the Eibach Pro-Kit (Ford Racing) coils that lower by a little over one inch. Is there enough inherent adjustability in the suspension to adjust the camber as-is, without adding camber bolts or camber plates? I don't know, nor does the local Ford dealer or a local alignment shop. If so, this obviously might be a simpler and certainly a less expensive solution.
Thanks again to all posters - I have found your comments to be quite informative and helpful.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:08 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I used the FRPP springs to lower my car. My local tire shop was able to align my car with Eibach camber bolts that I bought from tirerack.com. They said my original bolts would not work.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

ffk pennywise,
Just looked at Brennspeed web site - in their description of their (BMR) camber bolts that the factory setting has no camber adjustment. Did you have to remove the shocks to place camber bolts?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:51 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

No removal of the shocks for camber bolts. The alignment shop will put em on for you. They go next to the wheels. I think the shop charged me ~$70 for the whole shebang.

Quick Reply: Lowering, camber adjustment