Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

thumping noise after installing adj. panhard rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Default thumping noise after installing adj. panhard rod

I recently installed the spohn adj. panhard rod to compliment my springs (eibach pro kit) and shocks. There is a thumping noise coming from the rear end when driving over rough roads. I was just wondering if this was normal side effect that comes with installing an adj pan hard rod? Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

which spohn bar did you get? if it has poly on both sides it shouldnt make any new noises if installed correctly. if it has rod ends well then its going to make some noise.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

I just installed a UMI one with the roto-joint on one end and it is making some noise that I'm not sure I can get used to. Will the Steeda one with urethane bushings on both ends be as quiet as the stocker was w/rubber ones?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

They make you believe that the "roto-joints" or "del-spheres" won't make noise which is untrue. My spohn del sphere parts are damn near as noisy as the rod-end ones I used to have...
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
I just installed a UMI one with the roto-joint on one end and it is making some noise that I'm not sure I can get used to. Will the Steeda one with urethane bushings on both ends be as quiet as the stocker was w/rubber ones?
Yes. Added words here to make my reply more than 5 letters.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
They make you believe that the "roto-joints" or "del-spheres" won't make noise which is untrue. My spohn del sphere parts are damn near as noisy as the rod-end ones I used to have...
I am considering Sphon Del-sphere LCAs for my GT500; if you had to do it over again would you choose something else?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:46 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2sixd
Yes. Added words here to make my reply more than 5 letters.
Thanks. Yeah, that 5-letter feature even makes ya spell out a +1...
Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

That's to eliminate worthless replies like +1 .

6-Speed - I'm still on the fence with my del-sphere components. They aren't as noisy as the rod-end/poly they replaced but you can still hear them (if they aren't adjusted perfectly). I replaced my super noisy UMI double rod-end panhard with the poly/delsphere panhard leading me to believe that they were quiet as advertised so I proceeded with the poly/delsphere LCA's. It may have just been the fact that I eliminated a rod-end off the chassis-side of the car with the panhard but I couldn't hear it. I can hear the poly/del-sphere LCA's almost as much as the poly/rod end LCA's they replaced.

So to answer your question better - the poly/delsphere panhard is quiet (or unnoticable to me in the car) but the poly/delsphere LCA's are noisy. Not sure why yet, maybe they need adjustment. I swapped some different rear springs in last night and plan to readjust my pinion angle this morning so that may quiet some of the noise. Not sure why LCA's make more noise. I guess because they're doing more work back there.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of the dual-delsphere LCAs.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:55 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
That's to eliminate worthless replies like +1 .
+1......

Quick Reply: thumping noise after installing adj. panhard rod