Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Is it possible to adjust the powersteering boost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Default Is it possible to adjust the powersteering boost?

I am just wondering, is it possible to adjust the amount of powersteering boost, not the turn ratio though, to make it easier to turn the steering wheel? My friend has a Porshe and I like the steering feel a bit better...
Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I've got a feeling that the difference in steering between your Mustang and the Porsche has to do with more than the power steering boost.

Just out of curiousity what model and year Porsche was it?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:13 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

What do you mean? Boxter 2007 or 2008 I think...
Old 07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
What do you mean? Boxter 2007 or 2008 I think...
A Porsche Boxster is considered to be one of the best handling cars in the world. It has a mid engine layout with independent suspension front and rear, like a real race car. It actually handles better than a 911.

In comparison the Mustang GT is a nose heavy front engined car with a solid rear axle. Not the best combination.

In Canada a base Boxster costs almost twice as much as a Mustang GT. You get what you pay for.

If I had the money I be driving the Porsche Cayman, the hardtop version of the Boxster S, but they cost well over double the Mustang GT.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 07-29-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
A Porsche Boxster is considered to be one of the best handling cars in the world. It has a mid engine layout with independent suspension front and rear, like a real race car. It actually handles better than a 911.

In comparison the Mustang GT is a nose heavy front engined car with a solid rear axle. Not the best combination.

In Canada a base Boxster costs almost twice as much as a Mustang GT. You get what you pay for.

If I had the money I be driving the Porsche Cayman, the hardtop version of the Boxster S, but they cost well over double the Mustang GT.
"If I had the money I be driving the Porsche Cayman, the hardtop version of the Boxster S, but they cost well over double the Mustang GT"

I'd have 2 Mustang GT's haha
Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Yea, I though about Porshe, its not that expensive, but I think Mustangs are way better looking cars and possible more practical too... But coming back to where I started, I want lighter steering feel with less effort. Does anyone know WHY our cars engineered with the wheel on a stiffer side??
Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

With any given car, increasing the amount of power assist usually isolates the driver further from feeling what's happening at the front tires.

Years ago, some (most) US domestic makes were famous for over-boosted "no-feel" power assisted steering. You could steer the car with the wheel held between the thumb and one finger of one hand, but you wouldn't get any feedback from the front tires.

The S197 Mustang has very sharp turn-in response for a front engine car. I suspect that if the steering was made much lighter and/or with more assist that lots of people would experience difficulty in driving it in a straight line - they'd be constantly making small steering (over)corrections first one way and then the other. You'd adapt over time, but you'd certainly notice it during test drives and the initial period of ownership, and more than likely consider the car to be slightly "twitchy" or otherwise difficult to drive smoothly.

Cars should not try to imitate the (lack of) physical feel that comes with cheap home-version video driving games. And there's no harm in developing or maintaining a tiny bit more upper-body strength/fitness than what you might otherwise have.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-30-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Norm made another funny
Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I had to swap some 275/40 front wheels onto the car to SLOW the steering feel. It's still overboosted...
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

An alignment with zero toe should give a *bit* more turn in response and 'better' feel.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to adjust the powersteering boost?