Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Raod & TRack Time Attack Article

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Raod & TRack Time Attack Article

I know it is not about Mustang but it is about a 306 HP 6 speed front engine rear wheel drive coupe and an interesting article about modifying the car and the resultant effect.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8199

PS - has anyone come across a Genesis on the track?

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 08-10-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:59 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

they're pretty cool cars, they come with a lot of features, don't think I'd buy a hyundai though. if you ever need parts they cost a fortune because there's no aftermarket parts companies.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

They spent a lot of money for not much improvement in lap times
Old 08-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Cool article. Now I just need a professional racing team to do the research make my adjustments for me... :-) I haven't seen a Genesis at the track yet. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I've seen one on the road. They're butt ugly IMHO.

I think my mod next year is going to be sway bars. I've been playing with tire pressures, shock settings and my alignment but haven't been able to get the neutral balance I'm looking for.

I took the three day High Performance Driving School at Miller Motorsprots Park last june and their "school" cars (roll cage but full interior) had a very neutral balance on Goodrich KDWs. I was able to get some very welcome lift oversteer going into and at mid corner. They advertise FRP parts there but I'm not sure they haven't tweaked the stuff on their cars. The other interesting thing is they run zero degrees negative camber on the school cars. Aside from bars, brakes and possibly rear end, I've done the equivalent mods.

The other thing that gets debated here is the value of brake upgrades. Both the "school" car and the "Mustang Challenge" cars had fixed caliper four piston Brembos and the braking was amazing. The biggest problem I had was applying too much pedal pressure (like I do in my car) in the brake zone and over compressing the front suspension and having it bounce up on release giving me some unwanted understeer. So I had to relearn braking on these cars.

I realize they have race pads (Performance Friction I believe) on the cars in addition to the Brembos. I have a set of Cobalt Friction pads (XR2 front, XR4 rear) I'm going to put on for Calabogie later this month and I'll see how the stock calipers compare with race pads. However, looking a the prospect of spending big bucks on a BBK and the new wheels that go along with them, I may have to look at the path Argonaut took and go for a Vette.

You have the four piston Brembos (GT 500 brakes) on your car don't you? Did you get them from FRP?

I can tell you the biggest improvement to my lap times, aside from seat time, was the R compound tires.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
they're pretty cool cars, they come with a lot of features, don't think I'd buy a hyundai though. if you ever need parts they cost a fortune because there's no aftermarket parts companies.
Not true. Top tuners are already onboard the Genesis bandwagon.
HKS, RMR, Cobb, AMS.

Give it a couple years and it'll be a force to be reckoned with.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

did run against one back in july. the driver did a hell of a job running that car on all stock equipment. then again, the driver runs the hell out of his turbo miata too. so, a good driver can make just about any car perform well. was not breath taking, but did have a good showing that day. i agree with foolio2k4, the import scene has jumped all over this car and i believe steve millen's son runs one in the drift series. (don't quote me on the last one)
Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Last year I was at an autox event and got beat, along with quite a few others, by a slightly modified Hyundai Accent. Of course it was driven by someone (Ian Law) who knew what they were doing a lot better than I did

http://www.carcontrolschool.com/about.html
Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dvs4.6
did run against one back in july. the driver did a hell of a job running that car on all stock equipment. then again, the driver runs the hell out of his turbo miata too. so, a good driver can make just about any car perform well. was not breath taking, but did have a good showing that day. i agree with foolio2k4, the import scene has jumped all over this car and i believe steve millen's son runs one in the drift series. (don't quote me on the last one)
Yeah he runs the new genesis coupe in the drift series. He also set a world record pikes peak hill climb time for rear wheel drive.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
Yeah he runs the new genesis coupe in the drift series. He also set a world record pikes peak hill climb time for rear wheel drive.
Rhys Millen is his name, very good driver. Of course it helps having a multi-million dollar shop behind you.

As for the Genesis coupe, eh. I still always prefer a car I don't have to sneak up on. Nothing looks like a Mustang and I don't have to wear a bag over my head to drive it.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:04 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ken04
Rhys Millen is his name, very good driver. Of course it helps having a multi-million dollar shop behind you.

As for the Genesis coupe, eh. I still always prefer a car I don't have to sneak up on. Nothing looks like a Mustang and I don't have to wear a bag over my head to drive it.
TRUE THAT!