Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering/exhaust dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
kechke

Default Lowering/exhaust dilemma.

My wifes 05 V-6 convertable has Eibach springs on it, I had the original single exhaust removed and replaced with a kit that has "Pypes" duals and GT mufflers. The axel hits the exhaust pipes that go over it when the car goes over a big bump.
Product support at Pypes says they were not installed correctly, my installer says they were.
Any one have any issues such as this?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:26 PM
kechke

Bump, I still have this issue. Pypes does not have the answer they suggested I bring it to their facility, a 4oo mile trip one way.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:39 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Dont take it over there, I have heard of that before but not too often. Ask the person who installed it if they could possibly re-install it and possibly reshape the exhaust slightly, or tell your wife to quit going so fast over bumps.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

So you've just been living with this for a whole year without doing anything about it?

Sportlines are the lower of Eibach's lowering spring offerings, and you would be more likely to encounter problems such as this with them vs the Pro-kit springs - are Sportlines what you have on the car?

Norm
Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
So you've just been living with this for a whole year without doing anything about it?

Sportlines are the lower of Eibach's lowering spring offerings, and you would be more likely to encounter problems such as this with them vs the Pro-kit springs - are Sportlines what you have on the car?

Norm
I was thinking it may be sportlines but doubtful being its his wives car and thats a pretty wicked drop...
Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kechke
My wifes 05 V-6 convertable has Eibach springs on it, I had the original single exhaust removed and replaced with a kit that has "Pypes" duals and GT mufflers. The axel hits the exhaust pipes that go over it when the car goes over a big bump.
Product support at Pypes says they were not installed correctly, my installer says they were.
Any one have any issues such as this?
That's not a suspension issue (as long as there are bumpstops on the car). The axle can only move as far as the stops allow. Clearly that's interfering with the "pypes". Maybe the install was wrong, but it could also be the system just doesn't much like lowered cars. In fact most systems are done on whatever car rolls in--and if it was stock height, they might have never found this issue on their test cars (causing them to blame the installation).
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

My Pypes mid muffler system is installed on my car lowered with Steeda Sports, but the installer had to custom cut, fit, and weld the entire system. Pypes fitment is terrible saying it lightly, but the end results are worth it. Excellent sound from the mid muffler system. Your system, like mine, needs to be "custom" fitted to your car.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

I confirm what's been said about Pypes fitment. I have an x-pipe and mid pipes from Pypes with GT500KR mufflers and I had a questionable pleasure of fitting everything myself. It was a monumental PITA. I spent 3 days under the car cutting, fitting and welding and it's still not entirely straight.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

↑↑↑ IOW, a DIY exhaust with pipes and mandrel bends by Pypes?

Norm
Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 AM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Maybe not to such extreme, but I needed to trim the mid pipes to have the tips sticking out equally and work really hard to get the proper clearance from the rear axle and from the cross brace which is there just after the rear axle. And you definitely need to weld up the catalytic converters, otherwise they leak like crazy! I had to cut out the mid hangers too because they were touching the rubber mount housings.
And hours of fitting on top of that. You move something in one place and the whole thing gets out of alignment somewhere else. Horrible work.

Quick Reply: Lowering/exhaust dilemma.