Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering my 06 GT How hard????

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:56 PM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowering my 06 GT How hard????

I want to put the Eibach Pro springs under my car to get rid of the fender gap. I've read a lot of stuff on the process and I just want to hear some recent opinions.

I'm pretty mechanical and I feel I can do the springs myself. I just want to know if I'll need to buy anything else like the camber bolts or an adjustable panhard bar.

I don't mind the bolts, but I don't want to have to spend a few hundred on the panhard bar. I just want to get rid of the gap, not make the car an F1 handler.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:25 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

The pan hard is not really to make it handle better its to re-align the rear axel. When you lower the car it shift the axle a little to one side. If you don't correct that it wont handle the same, it will be worse.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

A lot of what you will need besides the springs depends on how low you go. I went down 1.5" and had to get an adjustable UCA (or LCAs) to re-align the pinion angle and you'll need either camber bolts or caster camber plates, I went with the plates.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 AM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

I only want to go with the Pro kit, so it's only like 1.2 and 1.4" drop.

I don't want to have to do a lot of work on the thing. I can accept the need for the bolts and the bar, but can I probably get by with just those 2 items and an aligment. I don't need racing suspension just want to keep the handling I have and make the car lower. But I don't want to do it if I'm going to have to put a grand in the process.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 AM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Like cobra443 said the panhard bar will allow you to center the rear end once you lower the car. The rear will shift when the car is lowered. An adjustable panhard bar doesn't have to cost a lot, here's one for $120 ==> http://www.spohn.net/shop/2005-2008-...-Bushings.html
And here's one for $115 ==> http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.ph...ct_detail&p=28 It's really just the price for lowering these cars.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 PM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

Cool, so basically I can put the bar and the camber bolts and be good to go???? That doesn't sound too bad if that's the case. Like I say, I'm only going with the pro kit so I'm not dropping it all the way to the ground.

Do all the bars have to be welded on????
Old 08-30-2009, 02:24 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

No welding is required. Here is a "How To" from TacoBill for installing the panhard bar, he also installed the Lateral Stiffener Bar which you don't need so ignore that part. ==> https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...on-w-pics.html
All panhard bars are essentially the same so this how to will work for whatever brand you buy, just make sure you get an adjustable one.

As far as camber bolts you may not need those. I installed Steeda springs that lowered my car about 1.5" and my camber was still in specs.

Last edited by NJ3; 08-30-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:52 PM
edawgdesigns.com
Former Sponsor

If you're doing the install yourself, make the job easier by getting some PB Blaster and spray on your bolts. You might also want to look into a spring compressor, just watch out for your fingers!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:47 PM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

I love the blaster, good stuff. I figured I'd just get a compressor on loan from AutoZone. I'm still a little unsure if I want to just use the camber bolts or go for the plates. I just want my setup to be like it was but lower. Are there problems with using just the bolts? I assume the Alignment shop will be the ones using them anyway.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:59 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

my rear is dropped 2.2 inches or so and 1.5 on the front. I didnt have to get a panhard bar. There was only like a 1mm difference so i didnt bother. I can see that I may need LCA brackets but I dont have any wheelhop so im not gonna bother with that.

Quick Reply: Lowering my 06 GT How hard????