Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 PM
NYCVistaGT

Default Suspension Mod

Koni Sports seem to be the site favorite. What Springs are recommended with these ?

If I choose to spend less, but still purchase a spring and damper combination, what is the site favorite on the lower end, without sacrificing too much in handling?

If I want to Drop/Lower the car, gain minimal benefit from a lower center of gravity and better springs, and the visual benefits alone, what is the site favorite for springs to use with OEM dampers?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

I went with FRPP complete handling pack. To be honest and I'm probably going to get abused for this but all springs, sway bars etc.... are the same no matter who makes it. It's in their minds. As for dampers eh they're reasonably close it all depends on what kind of ride quality you want, stiffer doesn't always mean better. Where in NYC? I'm in L.I. myself, you should hit Cunningham park thursdays.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Stang-n-Vette
1st Gear Member

I like the way Bilstein's make my other car handle! I plan to look into them for my next upgrade.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:01 PM
NYCVistaGT

Default Springs

Yeah.. its funny how many different views you can get on this topic.

I live and work in Manhattan and weekend on Long Island where I keep the car. Where is Cunningham Park? Whats going on over there?

My question was three pronged for a particular reason; I have been considering selling (getting 2010) the car in the next 2-3 Months, but may keep it. Thus I am not sure if I will spend the minimum or more.

I am interested in the H&R Springs. I went on Sam Strano, Strano Performance site and the site indicates that the Super Sport Springs "We do not recommend these springs for the best performance use. These are more about looks than corner-carving. Please consider carefully"

Alas, I am uncertain..
Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007VistaBlueGT
I went with FRPP complete handling pack. To be honest and I'm probably going to get abused for this but all springs, sway bars etc.... are the same no matter who makes it. It's in their minds. As for dampers eh they're reasonably close it all depends on what kind of ride quality you want, stiffer doesn't always mean better. Where in NYC? I'm in L.I. myself, you should hit Cunningham park thursdays.
Blanket statements like that are misleading.

FRPP may be a re-badged Eibach Spring, but that's about as far as I'd go down that line of thinking.

Each manufacturer uses a different spring rate to compensate for the shorter springs, and every individual has a different opinion of what spring rate is best for a given length and/or application. They are NOT all the same by any stretch of the imagination. Shock valving is the same way. Construction my be similar, but the valving and spring rates, the part the driver notices, varies greatly.

There is not a one size fits all "best" setup. What works at the car show likely won't work at the track, and what works on the track is likely not ideal for the street.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 AM
NYCVistaGT

Default 83 Views and 4 Responses ? Who is running Stock Dampers and Springs?

Sure its drawn out conversation, and sure there are plenty of posts on these questions, but a little advice goes a long way.

Who is running Stock GT Dampers and Springs ? Results, Thoughts, Impressions, Ideas..anyone?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by NYCVistaGT

I live and work in Manhattan and weekend on Long Island where I keep the car. Where is Cunningham Park? Whats going on over there?
Queens - Union Tpke between Francis Louis Blvd and 188th street or so. Just off the GCP

Originally Posted by NYCVistaGT
My question was three pronged for a particular reason; I have been considering selling (getting 2010) the car in the next 2-3 Months, but may keep it. Thus I am not sure if I will spend the minimum or more.
IMHO - if your thinking of trading/selling save your money until the decision is made.....
Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I'm running stock shocks with FRPP lowering springs. I have had no problems. Did not need any supporting mods to go with it either. Camber bolts and an alignment and away I went. Ride quality did not change much. Handles decent for a daily driver. The only corners I take are the ones going around people in 4 lanes of traffic. lol. When my stock shocks finally wear out, I'll replace them with Koni's. Otherwise, I'm content the way things are. Again, I'm not a racer, just a daily driver. Just throwing that out there.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
NYCVistaGT

Default Hood

ffk_pennywise

Curious, What hood do you have on there?

Essentially, the Ford Racing Springs were merely visual?

From other I cars I have had I have heard H&R makes a good spring? Thoughts..