Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

hollow vs. solid sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:23 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blair
Hi F1fan:

The Roush front bar is definitely solid. I confirmed this on the Roush webpage and the thing weights at least 2x as much as the stock one. I did put the Roush front back on and it did reduce the turn in understeer I was experiencing. Definitely had me scratching my head for a while, but the increased tire rollover makes sense.

Regarding the Steeda parts, I have been considering getting ball joints, but they have been pretty low on my to do list. If i remember correctly, they are used to restore the front control arms to parallel to the ground after lowering to coorect geometry and raise the front roll center if lowered too much. My car is only about 1.0" lower in front, it doesn't seem that this minimal lowering will lower the front roll center far enough to warrant adjustment. What do you think? Also, if I get the ball joints to restore the geometry of the front control arms. will this have any effect on reducing front end dive during braking?

Thanks
Hi Blair,

The Roush suspensions I've worked on were on Roush Stage 2 cars and painted blue as I recall. I think only the Roush Stage 3 bar is solid, is this what you mentioned you saw on the Roush website? I thought you had a Roush Stage 2 suspension on your car.

HTH!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:32 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
F1Fan, what about addressing the bump
steer issue with lowering the S197s front
end with springs instead of dropped spindles?

If I lower her I am going all out with the dropped
spindles and do it the ?right way?
Hi 157db,

Um, all of the standard McPherson strut type suspensions for the S197 use springs to reduce ride height of the chassis. AFAIK there are no O.E. quality drop spindles available for the S197 chassis. I've seen some poorly fabricated attempts at S197 drop sprindles but they did not have much drop and they were fabricated very poorly. The problem is that there is not much room to drop the spindle on an S197 anyway not to mention the mess it would make of the suspension geometry and scrub radius of the front end.

Cheers/Chip

Last edited by F1Fan; 10-02-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

F1Fan

Thanks for the explanation re Porsche struts and rear suspension.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by F1Fan
Hi Blair,

The Roush suspensions I've worked on were on Roush Stage 2 cars and painted blue as I recall. I think only the Roush Stage 3 bar is solid, is this what you mentioned you saw on the Roush website? I thought you had a Roush Stage 2 suspension on your car.

HTH!
I do have the blue painted stage 2 suspension. I double checked the website and you're right, it does not specify whether the stage 2 is solid or hollow, but it does specifically say that the red stage 3 bar is solid. Wierd that they would be specific about stage 3 but not stage 2.
The red and blue bars look identical. Also, the ends of the sway bar don't look stamped flat like the stock sway bar, but almost look milled from solid tube stock to create flats to attach the end links. That plus the much heavier weight of the thing leads me to believe that it is solid. Guess the only way to know for certain is to cut the sucker in half!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blair
The red and blue bars look identical. Also, the ends of the sway bar don't look stamped flat like the stock sway bar, but almost look milled from solid tube stock to create flats to attach the end links. That plus the much heavier weight of the thing leads me to believe that it is solid. Guess the only way to know for certain is to cut the sucker in half!
You could pull it off to weigh it and measure up its outside dimensions for determining its volume. If [weight] ÷ [volume] is about 0.28 lb/cubic inch, it's solid.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-03-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:49 AM
428CJ

Ask Roush if the Stage 2 Sway Bar is solid. They're pretty good about responding to questions about their parts.

http://www.roushperformance.com/contact.shtml
Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Norm is right... just weigh it the difference is huge, on the order of about 15 pounds (or even a bit more) between a solid and a hollow.

Of course you could just look at the end of the bar and see if you can see the seam where the tubing was flattened or not too....
Old 10-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

I called Roush and was told by customer service that the Stage 2 front bar is 35 mm and is hollow. No more specifics than that. Has to be thicker tubing though as it weighs a lot more than stock.