Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Track Day Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 PM
ATX

So, for the tires, I was thinking of getting some GT500 tires and rims, for example, these-
GT500 wheels on ebay
Since for $800 + $140 in shipping, you get 4 rims, tires, and TPMS sensors, and according to tirerack.com, the front tires are $300 each and the rears are $356 each, so the rubber alone is worth $1312 (currently on special for $576).
I'm guessing it's a softer compound than what I've got right now too, and when they wear out, I could put a racing tire on them, and still have street tires on my stock rims.
The only thing is that they're very wide tires, so they'll most likely increase the unsprung weight. What do you guys think?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I'm running 285/40/18 tires front and rear on the same size rims and yes they increase unsprung weight but the benefits of the larger tires offset the disadvantages.

These rims obviously clear the GT500 brakes and if in the future you want to upgrade to them you are all set.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:02 PM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

Welcome, ATX. Like others have said, the most important thing you can do improve your skills. Don't be discouraged. I haven't been to Driveway Austin; but I've heard it's really expensive and you don't get a lot track time. I've done several DE's with the Drivers Edge around Texas over the last 6 years. There's also Harris Hill Road just 20 miles South of town that does DE's as well. I've got several of the upgrades that you're considering on my '08 GT so hit me up if you want a ride or drive.

-Edward
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ATX
So, for the tires, I was thinking of getting some GT500 tires and rims, for example, these-
GT500 wheels on ebay
Since for $800 + $140 in shipping, you get 4 rims, tires, and TPMS sensors, and according to tirerack.com, the front tires are $300 each and the rears are $356 each, so the rubber alone is worth $1312 (currently on special for $576).
I'm guessing it's a softer compound than what I've got right now too, and when they wear out, I could put a racing tire on them, and still have street tires on my stock rims.
The only thing is that they're very wide tires, so they'll most likely increase the unsprung weight. What do you guys think?
Thats a really good deal. They wouldn't be my first choice in tire but for the price you can't go wrong. Some of the C6 Corvettes come stock with the F1 (the run flat version) and it is generally well liked. If interested here is a link to a discussion of the F1 vs. the Nitto 555RII. Its a street tire that will work on the track (as opposed to the Nitto, which is a track tire that will work on the street). I don't know much about the rims, like how heavy they are but if they are a resonable weight...go for it.

I should add a couple drawbacks: staggered setup means you can't rotate front to back. Directional (I'm pretty sure) means you can't rotate side to side. So if any abnormal wear starts, you can't rotate the tires to control it. Make sure your alignment is spot on and you are going to need negative camber. On the track you are going to accelerate the wear of the outside of the front tires, the more negative camber you can add, the better, at least -1.6 degrees up to -2. Stock, the camber is not adjustable on these cars, you need either the adjustable camber bolts (the cheap way to do it) or adjustable camber plates (the best way to do it...I actually have a set I could sell you if interested).

Last edited by Argonaut; 09-17-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 AM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

Argonaut, I just noticed that you're back to stock. What's up with that?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EdwardGT
Argonaut, I just noticed that you're back to stock. What's up with that?
I bought a track car (Corvette) that I don't care about messing up. If you do this sport enough you are going to go off, I didn't want to damage a pretty Mustang.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
If interested here is a link to a discussion of the F1 vs. the Nitto 555RII. Its a street tire that will work on the track (as opposed to the Nitto, which is a track tire that will work on the street).
Thanks for the link. For next season I've been giving serious consideration to getting a set of rims and Nitto 555RIIs for track day use but also driving to and from the track on them. This thread has helped me in my decision making. Now I just need to find the funds.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 PM
ATX

Thanks for the tips everyone! And, to Edward, I know I should improve my skills before improving my car, but I've still got the tires that came on the car, now with 33k miles on the clock. They've still got tread, but it seems that they have lost a fair amount of grip. I should probably get new tires regardless, and if I can get tires+rims that are a good improvement for the price of just tires, I may as well do it.