Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

FYI: Test fitting of Strano Hollow swaybars--done

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Default FYI: Test fitting of Strano Hollow swaybars--done

Only one more step.... Installation with a Fays2 Watts link to ensure clearance (looking good so far), finalize costs, and start production.

The bars are *both* hollow, not just the front. *Both* will be 3 way adjustable (not just the front). In fact the rear bar @ 22m hollow is a full 5 pounds less than the stock GT 20mm bar--and stiffer, and tuneable. In fact between the 3 adjustments at each end that's a lot of different combinations you can try to tune the balance.

I mention this because a number of folks have been asking when.... and it's close, real close.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Any chance these will have adjustable links in the rear......?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
Any chance these will have adjustable links in the rear......?
Sorry, no.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Sam, are you moving your mustang to ESP for next season?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Looking that way... but it'll be my GT, not Mike's Shelby.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Any pics of the prototypes? Does the rear use the same mounting points as stock, and if so how does the rear adjust?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

What are the advantages of this versus the Hotchkis sway bars, which I'm actually running?

Those are both tubular front and rear. They also come with heavy duty end link and the front is 4 way adjustable and the rear 3.

I guess that what you're going to be pushing with yours is the price, the hotchkis ones are $700 shipped! I can say as an absolute fact that all other sway bars are crap in comparison something like a Hotchkis.

So this would be a cheaper version that's minus the price from the comedy store.

Last edited by Legion5; 09-22-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

numbers please.

Legion how can you say for a fact that other bars are crap if you dont LIST the facts.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

He cant.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Last time I checked Hotchkis doens't actually, you know race or win anything of substance. Those bars are HUGE, way beyond what anyone else--even Legion5's precious Saleen products (and I'm suprised frankly he's not running those bars).

I sell Hotchkis, there are people on this board who have bought Hotchkis bars from me. If I thought they were the best, I'd say so. I don't. They are both way, way, way too big. With stock bars, a GT can carry a front tire with stock bars, that's largely because the rear bar isn't stiff enough vs. the front, and to get a rear bar that's the right size to stop it, for balance you want a little more front. There is no need for a sewer pipe for swaybars, but some feel if a little is good, a TON must be better. In fact the bigger a bar is the more work the outside tire does. Some people and/or cars want a lot of roll control, beyond what is possible from springs, and without the ride hit. What's more is I'm not exactly new in making a 35/22 combo for this car, the Eibach bars are--but the rear is solid and not adjustable. And I have to use those bars on the Shelby GT I've been racing (and oh by the way, winning in) because of the rules of the category. But that and my GT have helped me figure out what I wanted in a set of bars, and why. Is the sizing inventive? Nope. But the combination of size, hollow at both ends, and adjustable at both ends is unique--and I don't bother building things unless I think I can do better.

Pricing is forthcoming, but right now it TBD. It will be much less expensive, by probably a good $100 than Hotchkis bars. They will be more than some other bars because of the hollow tubing and the R&D involved in making the setup work. For example, I don't clamp my bar to the axle like Stillen does. That saves unsprung weight, and allows for use of a Watts link too. The rear bar is all bolt on, I had it on in way under an hour last night, we use a bracket that bolts to the axle, and when you adjust the bar it pivots on the mounts (which are very thick steel plates).

The bars aren't made in my backyard either. In fact they are made by a real swaybar company to my spec... a company that makes bars for the US Border Patrol. The quality and hardware is first rate, I will not skimp there.

I will keep you posted.

And fwiw, the reason I don't have 4 adjustments in the front is because you can run into endlink angle issues that can bend links (when they are too far from vertical).

When ready for actual release I will get pictures up on my website with pricing, etc. At this point, I know the bars are ready to fit with PHB's, in about another week will confirm fitment with the Watts (and make any changes I need to if necessary to make sure it does). Production is about 2 weeks beyond that point and I'll likely do a special like free shipping on pre-orders.

Quick Reply: FYI: Test fitting of Strano Hollow swaybars--done