Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Stodk Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:12 AM
03fridge

Default Stodk Ride Height

My car is a daily driver on the stock springs. Is there any advantage to a DD by lowering it besides looks? Is there any disadvantages by keeping it a stock height? Currently the car has koni yellows and 35/22 sway bars. It doesn't see any track time but the occassional spirited driving. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:46 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03fridge
My car is a daily driver on the stock springs. Is there any advantage to a DD by lowering it besides looks? Is there any disadvantages by keeping it a stock height? Currently the car has koni yellows and 35/22 sway bars. It doesn't see any track time but the occassional spirited driving. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

03fridge,

Is the car doing what you want now? With the Koni Sports and larger bars your car should be working great on the street. Lowering your car slightly can improve handling dynamics but go too low like with the FRPP M-5300-K kit or Eibach Pro-Kit springs and you will loose some ride quality due to being on the bumpstops all the time. The problem with riding on the bumpstops is that you have basically used up all your suspension travel and this gives you no room for bumps. My suggestion if you like the current handling is to leave well enough alone and spend money on a set of GT500 LCA's and some better brake components.

HTH!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:35 PM
03fridge

The car does do what I want it to do now. I was thinking of using the saleen/racecraft springs that I have in the garage, but don't know if its worth the effort to put them in. These springs seem to have a very minimal drop compared to some springs I see people running. I don't mind a firmer ride, but am getter older and not sure how rough the ride would be...at this stage in my life a firm ride is good, getting beat to death over every expansion joint...not so good. Using those springs would I see an improvement enough to warrant the effort? Not looking to spend extra money on other springs.

F1Fan, thak-you, your advise does help. What kind of improvement would I see with the FT500 LCA's? I've read some posts where they aren't worth the money or effort.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:53 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03fridge
The car does do what I want it to do now. I was thinking of using the saleen/racecraft springs that I have in the garage, but don't know if its worth the effort to put them in. These springs seem to have a very minimal drop compared to some springs I see people running. I don't mind a firmer ride, but am getter older and not sure how rough the ride would be...at this stage in my life a firm ride is good, getting beat to death over every expansion joint...not so good. Using those springs would I see an improvement enough to warrant the effort? Not looking to spend extra money on other springs.

F1Fan, thak-you, your advise does help. What kind of improvement would I see with the FT500 LCA's? I've read some posts where they aren't worth the money or effort.

Hi Fridge,

Those Saleen springs you have are better than nothing but they are not much lower nor are they much stiffer. So in this regard they don't really do much to improve your car. You have already made the biggest change by adding the Koni Sport dampers. Even with the stock springs your car probably has a much more buttoned down feeling and is much more stable in transition. Your ride probably feels a lot more coherent and less confused too being perceived as a firm but smooth ride.

If you are going to make a change to your suspension at this point make it count. It does not sound like you are all into the whole performance at any cost group so I suggest leaving your car as is unless you have some sort of issue. I suggested the GT500 LCA's to help improve the only real issue with a stock height car and stock LCA's wheel hop. I also would suggest swapping out the Panhard bar but I don't think you would really appreciate it at this point.

Drive it and enjoy it as is for now until you have a better idea of what you would change in terms of ride or handling qualities.

HTH!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

I've owned 3 s197 mustang GTs: A 2006 GT convertible, a 2008 GT coupe, and now a 2010 GT coupe. I've tried various suspension combinations on the three and was planning to keep the 2010 stock. The 2010 handles much better in stock form than my modified 2006 did with d specs and H&R sport springs. The 2010 has revised rear spring and shock rates that improved the handling tremendously.

However, the 2010 with 19" wheels looks awful at stock ride height with all that wheel well gap. I would probably have been happy with stock springs, adjustable shocks, and aftermarket sway bars if it wasn't for the aesthetics. That drove my decision to get lowering springs.

I have Roush springs, sway bars, bumpstops, and shocks/struts. The lowering was only 1" front and back and the ride is very similar to stock. I don't scrape and have yet to bottom out the suspension even on the biggest bumps and road imperfections. I'm happy with the look and ride quality. Also, my wife doesn't complain about the ride so we don't have to take her minivan everywhere... The most important consideration.

I've also taken the car to a few HPDEs and open track events and although the suspension is a little on the soft side for dedicated track use, it is still fun on the track and doesn't make you seasick from body roll, dive, and squat.

My $.02: Stick with the stock springs and set up you have now if you can live with the 4x4 look. If you're like me and can't stand the look go with Roush springs, Steeda ultralites, or H&R sports that lower no more than 1.0" to maintain ride quality.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 PM
nospleen

Can you post a picture of how it looks after? (2010)

Originally Posted by Blair
I've owned 3 s197 mustang GTs: A 2006 GT convertible, a 2008 GT coupe, and now a 2010 GT coupe. I've tried various suspension combinations on the three and was planning to keep the 2010 stock. The 2010 handles much better in stock form than my modified 2006 did with d specs and H&R sport springs. The 2010 has revised rear spring and shock rates that improved the handling tremendously.

However, the 2010 with 19" wheels looks awful at stock ride height with all that wheel well gap. I would probably have been happy with stock springs, adjustable shocks, and aftermarket sway bars if it wasn't for the aesthetics. That drove my decision to get lowering springs.

I have Roush springs, sway bars, bumpstops, and shocks/struts. The lowering was only 1" front and back and the ride is very similar to stock. I don't scrape and have yet to bottom out the suspension even on the biggest bumps and road imperfections. I'm happy with the look and ride quality. Also, my wife doesn't complain about the ride so we don't have to take her minivan everywhere... The most important consideration.

I've also taken the car to a few HPDEs and open track events and although the suspension is a little on the soft side for dedicated track use, it is still fun on the track and doesn't make you seasick from body roll, dive, and squat.

My $.02: Stick with the stock springs and set up you have now if you can live with the 4x4 look. If you're like me and can't stand the look go with Roush springs, Steeda ultralites, or H&R sports that lower no more than 1.0" to maintain ride quality.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Here you go:

Old 09-28-2009, 01:41 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I am running the GT500 LCA's on my daily driver. I had a set of Spohn Double adjustable with the Rod end/bushing combo prior to these, and I have to say that these are as effective against wheel hop as the spohns, while still riding very comfrotably.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 AM
nospleen

Looks great, much better than stock, but the ride quality is still there. I'm going with Roush. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Blair
Here you go:

Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Bob
I am running the GT500 LCA's on my daily driver. I had a set of Spohn Double adjustable with the Rod end/bushing combo prior to these, and I have to say that these are as effective against wheel hop as the spohns, while still riding very comfrotably.
Thanks for posting your impressions. I was debating whether to get the GT500 LCAs or the Spohn poly/delsphere LCAs. If they ride the same I'll go with the Ford LCAs. They have the same ride quality and are cheaper, sounds like a win/win situation.

Quick Reply: Stodk Ride Height