Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT take-off susp. on v6

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Default GT take-off susp. on v6

After looking through some of the search results I found some of the info I was looking for, but... I'm a little confused and have a couple more questions.

I have a 06 v6 pony package, I will be putting in a 8.8" 3.73 T-lok in spring, and down the road X-charger. I found a full gt take-off suspension on CL with less than 500 miles on it off an 05. Will the gt take-offs be good for me or would I be better off going to an aftermarket suspension.

I realize the pony package has an upgraded suspension to begin with, so would it even be worth the whole kit or just parts of it? Which parts? Ford says the pony package has GT "inspired" front stabilizer (larger than typical v6) and the addition of the rear stabilizer.

NTO.com wants 250 for the kit, this person wants me to make an offer, what do you think is reasonable?

I really don't know a whole lot about suspension, thats why I bring my questions to the experts. Hook me up guys. thanks

Last edited by Joshspony; 10-10-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:28 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

What are your intentions with the car?

Drag?

Autocross?

Open-Track?

Daily Driving? or a mixture?

Do you plan on lowering your car? The stock/OEM dampners are designed for OEM ride height - they don't seem to fair too well when paired with lowering springs. But it all really depends on your plans for the car.

To give you an example, I daily drive my car too/from school and too/from work, on average putting around 12K miles a year. I also try to attend HPDE Open-Track events when I can afford. Being that I wanted more aggressive setup for suspension, I ended up getting Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Tokico D-Spec adjustable shocks/struts. Granted it isn't the best setup for the track, but it still allows for a pleasant daily drive.

As I've learned more and more about coilover setups, my opinion is starting to change though.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=danbevsv6rumbler;6560089]What are your intentions with the car?

Drag?

Autocross?

Open-Track?

Daily Driving? or a mixture?/QUOTE]

My intentions are DD with the occational 1/4 just for fun. I only drive it during the nice months, maybe 7k miles a year. I won't be lowering the car. My thoughts are, eventually I will be putting a blower on it and want the setup there. I ran across this deal and want to know if I will be spending unnecissary money.

Facts, opinions, and thoughts welcome. (in that order)
Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
After looking through some of the search results I found some of the info I was looking for, but... I'm a little confused and have a couple more questions.

I have a 06 v6 pony package, I will be putting in a 8.8" 3.73 T-lok in spring, and down the road X-charger. I found a full gt take-off suspension on CL with less than 500 miles on it off an 05. Will the gt take-offs be good for me or would I be better off going to an aftermarket suspension.

I realize the pony package has an upgraded suspension to begin with, so would it even be worth the whole kit or just parts of it? Which parts? Ford says the pony package has GT "inspired" front stabilizer (larger than typical v6) and the addition of the rear stabilizer.

NTO.com wants 250 for the kit, this person wants me to make an offer, what do you think is reasonable?

I really don't know a whole lot about suspension, thats why I bring my questions to the experts. Hook me up guys. thanks
alot of work for not much, if any gain. The pony pkg has upgraded suspension on it already. The GT springs are for a slightly heavier front end. But most manfacturers have the same rear spring for both cars. You can usually find GT take-offs cheap, for good reason. I will keep the stock suspension from both of my cars so if I ever decide to sell I can return it to stock. Other than that I'd just as soon give it all away for more space in the garage.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking to do the GT Suspension on my V6 Convertible for handling purposes. I don't really like the spongy cornering and wanted to stiffen it up a bit. Don't care about a more harsh or stiff ride. The GT take offs come say 17" wheels, but I have 16" wheels. What issues would I have installing the GT components with the 16" wheels?