Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Official Site Sponsor--I'm back

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

I have the Pro-Kit and like the drop in the front but would like it a little lower in the rear. The H&R kit is 1.9 (out back) and Sportlines are 2.0. Any way to get there without coilovers? I would think mixing springs is akin to some sort of sin that will send me directlty to the hot place. I'm going to purchase the Koni non adjustable's soon. I don't race ever so corner carving isn't a concern.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Gray Ghost GT

Sam, I appreciate the honest recommendations you provide and willingness to listen to your customers to help them setup their Mustang based on their personal needs, etc. I purchased a set of Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks/Struts and Vogtland Springs. My car is coming along great! Question for you: Which 8.8" 31 Spline LSD is STRONGER - the Eaton #19588-010 or the Eaton Detroit True-Trac #913A561?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Are you in the state college area??
Old 11-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tampa07gt
I have the Pro-Kit and like the drop in the front but would like it a little lower in the rear. The H&R kit is 1.9 (out back) and Sportlines are 2.0. Any way to get there without coilovers? I would think mixing springs is akin to some sort of sin that will send me directlty to the hot place. I'm going to purchase the Koni non adjustable's soon. I don't race ever so corner carving isn't a concern.
Not the end of the world to mix springs as long as they are similar in their working rates. But I gotta say that I wouldn't want to be any lower than Pro-kit height in the back. They already sit just above the bumpstops.

The only way to dial in the ride height you definitely want is with adjustable height coil-over/weight jackers. Here something like H&R or KW Variant 1's if you want a non-adjustable damper. But really, I think the height gets nit-picked over and would rather have the Koni dampers than either of those other two. You could, I suppose get a set of add-on coil-over/jackers like from Ground Control and team them up with the STR.T's. But GC's service is not known to be great (I quit selling their stuff), and you have to careful to not get goofy spring rates because the STR.T's can't deal with any rate they might give you. All in all, if you NEED the control over the height, than you have option. If you just want it to drive well and don't fret over 1/8" here and there (so to speak), then just make a educated decision on springs.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PennState
Are you in the state college area??
I'm about 85 miles west of State College.....
Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost GT
Sam, I appreciate the honest recommendations you provide and willingness to listen to your customers to help them setup their Mustang based on their personal needs, etc. I purchased a set of Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks/Struts and Vogtland Springs. My car is coming along great! Question for you: Which 8.8" 31 Spline LSD is STRONGER - the Eaton #19588-010 or the Eaton Detroit True-Trac #913A561?
Gee, this sounds familiar.... What do mean by "stronger"? As in which will take more beating before it breaks, or which one applies power to the inside rear wheel under hard loads the best?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Not the end of the world to mix springs as long as they are similar in their working rates. But I gotta say that I wouldn't want to be any lower than Pro-kit height in the back. They already sit just above the bumpstops.

The only way to dial in the ride height you definitely want is with adjustable height coil-over/weight jackers. Here something like H&R or KW Variant 1's if you want a non-adjustable damper. But really, I think the height gets nit-picked over and would rather have the Koni dampers than either of those other two. You could, I suppose get a set of add-on coil-over/jackers like from Ground Control and team them up with the STR.T's. But GC's service is not known to be great (I quit selling their stuff), and you have to careful to not get goofy spring rates because the STR.T's can't deal with any rate they might give you. All in all, if you NEED the control over the height, than you have option. If you just want it to drive well and don't fret over 1/8" here and there (so to speak), then just make a educated decision on springs.
Thanks for the advice. I liked the look of my car with the 295/45's tucked up under the wheel wells. I didn't like the look of all of that side wall when compared to the 255's up front. Now I like the look of my 285/40's in the rear just don't like that extra 1/2" of fender gap! lol I'll just deal with it since I don't want to shell out huge dollars to eliminate a 1/2"..

P.S. I will be looking to pick up those Koni STR.T's in January so I'll PM you when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Just need to get past Christmas first! Two kids If $ allows maybe we can discuss some different options.

Thanks for the response! Only heard good things about you!

On a side note: I used to love autocrossing my SVT Focus but couldn't seem to pick out the turns when they used those orange cones. Come to find out I have very bad depth perception so it all looked the same to me! Know a fix for that?

Last edited by tampa07gt; 11-11-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'm here to talk shop, so to speak....

No cure for depth perception issues, but three words of advice.

1: Go get your eyes checked. I had a stretch a few years back when I couldn't make a clean run to save my life. Turns out my eyes had changed, and so little I didn't even notice. New contacts and immediately the cone trouble stopped.

2: 95% of the cones on a course do not matter. Do not look at those, only the ones that dictate the corner. Makes things a lot easier.

3: If possible get to a real, professional Autox school like an Evolution School. There you can get instruction based on what you are doing and need fixed, as we instructors ride in the car to see what's up (we even drive a little to show you what we mean).
Old 11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

Sam, installed the phb and just received the lca arms, good quality products and very easy to install. will update with some pics soon, i hope. your company has truly gained my trust.

thanks alot, Dan.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Dan--

Thanks for the update. I'm very glad to hear you are happy with the parts, and even more pleased to know that I've earned your trust! I can't ask for anything more, and it's what I set out to do as happy folks tend to be repeat customers.

If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know....

Quick Reply: Official Site Sponsor--I'm back