Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

lowering v6 - need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 04:26 PM
JoeV0811

Default lowering v6 - need help

so i have been looking online for a kit to lower my car. im not sure if i want to lower the front quite yet.

also, it is to my understanding that you can just swap the lowering springs out pretty easily. a friend of my just pulled his old springs off and put his new eibach kit on. he said he did not have to compress the rear springs. is this true ? and will i need a camber kit if i just lower the rear ?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ground...it-0508v6.html

i found that kit that says it includes "alignment cams". are these the cambers i would need if i did lower the front as well ?

i dont know much about suspension, thanks for your help everybody

Last edited by JoeV0811; 10-24-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

No compressor needed for rear springs.

The kit you show includes camber adjustment bolts for use when you lower the front.

Not needed if you lower just the back.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoeV0811
so i have been looking online for a kit to lower my car. im not sure if i want to lower the front quite yet.

also, it is to my understanding that you can just swap the lowering springs out pretty easily. a friend of my just pulled his old springs off and put his new eibach kit on. he said he did not have to compress the rear springs. is this true ? and will i need a camber kit if i just lower the rear ?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ground...it-0508v6.html

i found that kit that says it includes "alignment cams". are these the cambers i would need if i did lower the front as well ?

i dont know much about suspension, thanks for your help everybody
the backs are easy. Raise the car up with a jack under the rearend and get some jackstands under the frame members. I use the 2 jacking points directly in front of the rear tires. Leave the jack under the rear end. Pull both rear tires off. Loosen the bottom shock bolt and remove it on both sides. Take out the sway bar mounting bracket bolts, 1 per side that mount the links of the sway bar to the frame. The sway bar will be attached to the axle, and the 2 sway bar links will be attached to the sway bar. Lower the rear end that the jack is under. It will come way down without the shocks and the sway bar attached. The springs will come right out. They may be a little 'glued' to the rubber grommets that sit on the axle, but they'll come out easliy enough. Pull the rubber pad off the top of the old spring and place it on the new springs. The shorter lowering springs go in easily, make sure the bottoms are sitting on the 2 locating grommets that the original springs sat on. Raise the jack back up to connect the sway bar and the shocks. Put your wheels back on, remove the jack stands and lower the car to the ground. You're done.

A few places, ie; BMR, Roush, maybe others sell just rear springs. It actually levels the car out and you don't have to mess with a spring compressor for the fronts, or camber bolts. If you go lower than maybe 1.5" max you'll have to check the rear end for side (drivers side) movement. But with most the spring kits out there you should be OK. Good luck !!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:48 AM
JoeV0811

thank you for your advice ! once i get the springs in the mail and lower the car i will post pictures !