Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

S197 Wrecked at Hallet - Sobering Reminder that this is a dangerous sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 AM
MustangFanatic44
Salad Farts

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
damn that sucks...wonder if they would be willing to sell some engine parts to pay for a new one
lol, Carfx will rip you off so bad. you dont want to buy anything from them. they have a bad reputation here in Tulsa. They prey on non local guys, or guys that arent car-smart

for example the owner Will, he quoted a guy $1,000 to do gears
the guy quoted me one time for 1k for an eleanor hood, unpainted
a front end v6 to gt conversion was $716 dollars
a rear v6 to gt conversion was $715 dollars including exhaust w/o the gt bumper.

im glad no one got hurt, but if you ask me i feel they kind of deserved it for ripping people off.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Very lucky they werent killed.. seeing the pictures of the other cars on the track I dont think most of their cars would have done any better flipping over on their roof. A lot of things came together... maybe if there wasnt the second tire wall.. who knows..

http://hallettracing.net/gallery/album189

That being said I am going to be upgrading my roll bar before I go back to the track.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
... just off the top of my head I'm seeing a gap in the level of "seriousness" between the apparent details of that cage/connections and things like 625 HP and 8000 rpm that shouldn't have happened.
I agree.
The basic rule of thumb when modifying a car for track use is do the safety equipment first: brakes, cage/roll bar (welded), harnesses, seats, Hans, etc. Then, after the driver training is done of course, add suspension and then power.

Of course many of us do suspension first, I did and I could make an argument it has helped me learn. But still - modern cars are incredibly fast and you only have one life. (note to self: schedule appointment for professionally built cage in my track car, and a Hans).
Old 10-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I think the guy whose opinion you really want is Blainefab's (over at C-C.com).

My office's network is filtering out most of the pictures, but just off the top of my head I'm seeing a gap in the level of "seriousness" between the apparent details of that cage/connections and things like 625 HP and 8000 rpm that shouldn't have happened.

Norm
Thanks Norm...I never imagined you as a guy to vouch for someone lightly, so this means a lot.

Also, it's nice to see this from Blainefab, "The MM main hoop pad is great! The Autopower sucks." So it looks like the MM bar is definitely going in my car for the coming season.

As for the build, I think a growing consensus is that such a gap really sheds a negative light on the builder. However, his skill/wisdom isn't much of a concern for me...he'll never touch one of my cars. On the other hand, what I can learn from it is of great interest.

I think many of us "lay-people" fall into a similar trap of thinking we can just do one thing (like adding tons of power) without really considering its impact on other things, safety being number one.

I'm trying to rethink my long-term build plans in light of this event. I suspect I'm not alone.

Best,
-j
Old 10-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philostang
Thanks Norm...I never imagined you as a guy to vouch for someone lightly, so this means a lot.

Also, it's nice to see this from Blainefab, "The MM main hoop pad is great! The Autopower sucks." So it looks like the MM bar is definitely going in my car for the coming season.

As for the build, I think a growing consensus is that such a gap really sheds a negative light on the builder. However, his skill/wisdom isn't much of a concern for me...he'll never touch one of my cars. On the other hand, what I can learn from it is of great interest.

I think many of us "lay-people" fall into a similar trap of thinking we can just do one thing (like adding tons of power) without really considering its impact on other things, safety being number one.

I'm trying to rethink my long-term build plans in light of this event. I suspect I'm not alone.

Best,
-j
not to make light of this accident, but people get killed on the public highways everyday. Speeding and drunk driving being probably the 2 top causes of death. But on public highway accidents it's an innocent, who wasn't road racing that gets killed. These pictures are sobering, it really shows us how dangerous racing with substandard equipment can be, although they did walk away. But let's keep these pictures in mind next time we pull onto a public road. Drinking and driving, especially in a high powered car like the Mustang is dangerous. To us and especially others. OK, off my soap box.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ken04
not to make light of this accident, but people get killed on the public highways everyday. Speeding and drunk driving being probably the 2 top causes of death. But on public highway accidents it's an innocent, who wasn't road racing that gets killed. These pictures are sobering, it really shows us how dangerous racing with substandard equipment can be, although they did walk away. But let's keep these pictures in mind next time we pull onto a public road. Drinking and driving, especially in a high powered car like the Mustang is dangerous. To us and especially others. OK, off my soap box.
Well said. My thoughts exactly.

I feel safer during track days than on the public highways. But of course, I'm not racng and only driving to a point that I still feel comfortable. Maybe 8 or 9/ tenths at the most. Racing is another whole ball game. Glad no-one was hurt.

Cheers.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Oh no, to heck with that; stay on your soap box brother!

I'm a college professor, my students know I'm into tracking my car, and many of the male students especially take a keen interest in my activity. I make it a point, a very strong point, to let them know what I think of irresponsible stupid-a%$ sh*tty driving on the public streets. I have no tolerance for it at all. It's one thing to get on track with a bunch of other willing yahoos like you, and it's quite another to do anything like that on public roads with people who did not sign on for such shenanigans.

I'm surprised by how many of them claim to do it because they want to display their "skills" at driving. Please...as if driving like a jerk is "skilled" driving. Their idea of driving at the limit is a joke, and they're so clueless that they don't even realize it.

As you can imagine, I try to do my part to educate our boys...if the men of our society won't do it, who does? A: Hollywood (e.g. "Fast and F'd Up")

(Soapbox disengaged)

Best,
-j

Last edited by Philostang; 10-29-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
. . . I was mentally focused on the corner ahead and didn't finish the corner I was in (kind of like a receiver running before securing the ball).
That's basically what I did there. I was already focused on the run up to turn 10 when this bit me.

Slaya,

Thanks for the insight into what happened at turn 9. May I ask (if you can recall) what you were doing with the throttle? . . . If you turned in hard and applied throttle too early/aggressive, then obviously more throttle would not have helped the situation.
You summed it up right there. I was on the throttle and actually adding a little during the slide. Adding even more would have most likely hurt my rear end traction even more, and I think a lift would have only spun me quicker. Basically, I didn't counter aggressively enough with the steering input--it didn't *feel* like I needed to, until it was too late... Lesson learned, hopefully.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

I'm a college professor, my students know I'm into tracking my car, and many of the male students especially take a keen interest in my activity. I make it a point, a very strong point, to let them know what I think of irresponsible stupid-a%$ sh*tty driving on the public streets. I have no tolerance for it at all. It's one thing to get on track with a bunch of other willing yahoos like you, and it's quite another to do anything like that on public roads with people who did not sign on for such shenanigans.

I'm surprised by how many of them claim to do it because they want to display their "skills" at driving. Please...as if driving like a jerk is "skilled" driving. Their idea of driving at the limit is a joke, and their so clueless that they don't even realize it.

As you can imagine, I try to do my part to educate our boys...if the men of our society won't do it, who does? A: Hollywood (e.g. "Fast and F'd Up")

(Soapbox disengaged)

Best,
-j
well said and well done.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

I'm surprised by how many of them claim to do it because they want to display their "skills" at driving. Please...as if driving like a jerk is "skilled" driving. Their idea of driving at the limit is a joke, and they're so clueless that they don't even realize it.

(Soapbox disengaged)

Best,
-j
Ditto. Well said.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: S197 Wrecked at Hallet - Sobering Reminder that this is a dangerous sport