Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Upgrade/ Bolt on's to Improve over stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

Smile Suspension Upgrade/ Bolt on's to Improve over stock

Its an 09 GT Premium STOCK / 5 Speed, 3:55's from factory (If that matters)

First off, this is a street car/daily driver- Maybe, just MAYBE will take it to a track for a few passes here nor there. Not looking to do some crazy cornering (have had cars in the past like that, now I just want to improve the handling/body roll ect)

I'm not looking to lower it to be honest, at all if I don't "have to" (Have to meaning if that makes/breaks the suspension improvement). If anything, don't really want it any lower - Just want to do some simple bolt on suspension parts that improve over stock- unless its a loose loose situation. Also, I notice a lot of wheel hop in the rear when the tires break loose in the rain. Any suspension tweaks to help it?

Also, may be a stupid question - Are there any "upgrade" suspension parts, off say a GT500/Saleen/Rousch that are pretty much bolt on but are more aggressive/better then whats stock on the car?

Not looking to spend a lot, not looking to go overkill. Appreciate any and all in put. Thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

to solve pretty much everything your looking at, you might need to lower it just a bit, but one of the best solutions I can think of also lowers you the least:
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...nsion_Kit.html

very simple and MUCH improved ride. Add to that any reputable lower control arm. i like these VERY much:
http://www.spohn.net/shop/2005-2008-...int-Combo.html

and maybe some relocation brackets, for your description i would get these and put them in there mid position:
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...n_Bracket.html

after you get it all adjusted should ride amazing
Old 12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

If you're looking to keep the stock ride height, I'd suggest a set of the Koni STR.T shocks/struts. I put just a set on the rear of my car and the improvement in ride quality, and rear axle control is immense. I'm expecting similarly good things for the front end at this point.

I got them from StranoParts at the recommendation of Sam Strano. I ordered a set of the struts to replace my stockers recently, and picked up a set of Ford Racing (GT500) strut mounts from a local dealer for the install.

After that, then you'll probably want to start looking at other parts to change specific behaviors that you don't care for, such as the LCAs or UCA, aftermarket Panhard bars or Watts links, relocation brackets, etc. But, I'd say start with the shocks first, then see if there' still behavior you don't like.

Last edited by Kotobuki; 12-02-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

A good alternative for the LCAs are the GT500 ones as they have stiffer rubber bushings than the stock ones but they are still rubber. They alone may be enough to bring your axle hop under control.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Stiffer springs and shocks will go a long way towards controlling unwanted body movement. Not just laterall roll, but for and aft tilt during acceleration and braking. The trade off is a stiffer/harsher ride with more road feel.

Stiff sway bars on stock springs will help control lateral body roll while retaining the stock cushey ride. But, they don't affect fore and aft motion.

It's all a trade off. For general street use, a combination of both approaches seems to work the best. A combination of slightly stiffer shocks and springs plus a large sway bar set is a good comprimise.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Let me start by saying that I'd be happy to go over various parts and what they do if you'd like to discuss these things by phone, could even make some recommendations once I have a better sense of what you want to end up or change about how the car drives (and how you feel about it).

The stock shocks *suck*, see any post from anyone who's replaced them--they all say the same things (if they use something good)... The ride gets BETTER, the stability gets better, the car is easier to drive fast, and actually feels a bit smaller because it's more tidy. Better shocks also change the roll and pitch rate of the car.

If you want less body roll, and don't care to lower the car (you can handle very well @ stock height, and that is the best ride when good shocks are used) then what I'd recommend is slapping on good shocks (not all shocks are, Koni's are a great choice) and a set of swaybars. I just came out with a set of my own, made to my spec and both the front and rear are adjustable, and both are hollow.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 12-02-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:37 PM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default shocks

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Let me start by saying that I'd be happy to go over various parts and what they do if you'd like to discuss these things by phone, could even make some recommendations once I have a better sense of what you want to end up or change about how the car drives (and how you feel about it).

The stock shocks *suck*, see any post from anyone who's replaced them--they all say the same things (if they use something good)... The ride gets BETTER, the stability gets better, the car is easier to drive fast, and actually feels a bit smaller because it's more tidy. Better shocks also change the roll and pitch rate of the car.

If you want less body roll, and don't care to lower the car (you can handle very well @ stock height, and that is the best ride when good shocks are used) then what I'd recommend is slapping on good shocks (not all shocks are, Koni's are a great choice) and a set of swaybars. I just came out with a set of my own, made to my spec and both the front and rear are adjustable, and both are hollow.
Did I see you were from Brookville, PA? I was born there. Anyway, what shocks would you recommend for a lowered car. I have Eibach springs. I need to keep it inexpensive. This car is a daily driver and there are a lot of train tracks around here.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mcstang
Did I see you were from Brookville, PA? I was born there. Anyway, what shocks would you recommend for a lowered car. I have Eibach springs. I need to keep it inexpensive. This car is a daily driver and there are a lot of train tracks around here.
I am.... Grew up here, shop is in Brookville. I live about 8 miles out of town.

There are options but given the fact you have springs and a budget... this is what Koni STR.T's were designed for. $409/set. Cheaper alternatives? Yes--but none that work as well, or have the same kind of warranty coverage/service, if you'd ever need it.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5
Old 12-21-2009, 08:28 AM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I am.... Grew up here, shop is in Brookville. I live about 8 miles out of town.

There are options but given the fact you have springs and a budget... this is what Koni STR.T's were designed for. $409/set. Cheaper alternatives? Yes--but none that work as well, or have the same kind of warranty coverage/service, if you'd ever need it.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5
I'll have to stop in when I visit my parents in Clarion sometime.
Those seem to be in a good price range for me but I need to see how my business does in Jan/Feb. I thought about just adding LCA's to start because I have to take my car in soon to have a tire checked. Would I notice a difference with this upgrade?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:33 AM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default relocation bracket

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
A good alternative for the LCAs are the GT500 ones as they have stiffer rubber bushings than the stock ones but they are still rubber. They alone may be enough to bring your axle hop under control.
Do I need to have relocation brackets for these if my car is lowered?

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade/ Bolt on's to Improve over stock