Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Questions...2007 GT Lower, springs shocks ect...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Cojam7296

Default Questions...2007 GT Lower, springs shocks ect...

Hi all...I trust Santa got you all everything you need to go faster...

Anyway, I picked up this 2007 GT/CS in October (only had 900 miles) added a Brenspeed tune and BBK intake (very sweet) ..I like that set-up for my needs...BUT the suspention sucks...The car feels loose, I don't feel in control in the twisty's and at 80 I feel like its floating a bit...

I would like to just get it all done at once. Im thinking of doing the below to ease my pain...I just want to feel little more in control and solid on the road.

Im running 20's ( Shelby CS 67's with (I can get the exact tire size if needed) The guy had them on the car...they look cool but Im not attached.

1. Lowering springs...I can't go too low...

2. Shocks

3. Sway bar upgrade..

Let me know your thoughts on what to get and if Im on the right track here...

THANKS!!!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 03:31 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i went with the FRPP springs and i am very happy with them. for the winter i am running 17 wheels from my 2004 gt and my car sits very lowwww. but with 20s you will have a nice stance and good clearance.

i still have my stock sway bars, but i have had my eye on the frpp ones for awhile. they are nice.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:19 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I'm considering lowering springs as well, but the same, I don't want to go too low. This is a DD and there are lots of pot holes, uneven roads, + chin spoiler = bad. I'm probably going to have to *cringe* use stock wheels until they need replacement. I want to get rid of that 4x4 look and have better handling and suspension. I love to corner and have maneuverability.. and well my 2006 GT definitely needs help there.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:23 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

How low does FRPP go? How they feel?

Last edited by alkemist; 12-26-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:32 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

ok im going to give my shot at this one since i am in the same boat also and this is probably the setup im going to use.

1. for the lowering springs if you do not want to go too low then the Steeda Comps or Sports are probably gonna be all you. Lowering the car 1 inch in the front and 1.2 inches in the back will keep that front bumper from scraping and give you a firmer ride. I like a firmer ride so my eyes are on the comps.

2. For the shocks i would say the Koni's because of all the rants from people on how great they are and how they have a lifetime waranty. If you need adjustability the the Koni Sports but if not then the STR.T's sound pretty good.

3. And for the sway bars i am contemplating between the Strano ones and the Hotchkis set. Fully adjustable on these will let you set the car up very well if you know what you are doing.

All of this is coming from just what i have read over the last few months and those are the things i will be going for on my GT/CS....I in no way have used any of these parts on my car so take from my post what you will....i am sure sam will be in here soon to really help you out.

Good Luck DRock

Last edited by DRock; 12-26-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

I changed my set up from Pro-kits and stock shocks to Steeda Sport springs and Koni STR.T shocks and struts. The Steedas don't lower it quite as much as the pro-kits, but the ride and handling are much better. It is certainly possible that had I kept the pro-kits and just changed to the Konis that this would also have been OK.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Regardless of what springs (well, within reason), the addition of a quality set of dampers (shocks and struts to those wondering what a "damper" is) makes HUGE difference.

Steeda Sports do ride better than Pro-kits, because they aren't as low, maintaining more working suspension travel, and because they have more working travel, they aren't as stiff. Both things that make for better ride vs. shorter and stiffer.

Frankly if you want the best ride, and better handling then I'd do dampers and bars.... as the stock springs will ride the best, and you get better motion control from the dampers and more wheel rate from the bars, but not when you are just cruising around. Does that mean that springs are out? No, just that bars are also springs but unlike lowering springs they don't compromise ride nearly as much since much like the Pro-kit vs. Sports you retain more working travel and softer wheel rates. The bars add wheel rate when you want it, when cornering.

But bars can't lower the car. Springs can't help a floaty vague feel because that's a lack of damping. In basic terms all three items mentioned work differently. There is interaction, but not the same result from each part.

Now, unlike most other vendors... I sell all the major brands (and have parts I designed on my own too). I have no allegiance to one brand over another unless one item works better than another. I prefer Koni for these cars, but sell Tokico, Bilstein, etc. I more often than not sell Steeda springs (various ones), but not always and also have Eibach, H&R, Vogtland.

More often than not, I recommend STR.T's and Steeda Sports to most street only drivers. Add a set of Strano Performance Adjustable (and hollow) swaybars for extra roll control, and the ability to tune the balance and you'd be amazed at the difference. Not the worst idea in the world to look at a few other things like camber adjustment options if it's primarily a street car that sees some miles, and something like an adjustable PHB to square up the body vs. the axle after the lowering. Neither of those things are required, but are recommended.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 12-28-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:15 AM
FINGT
1st Gear Member

Sam, have you tested the Koni FSDs ?
http://www.koni.com/index.php?id=58&L=0

I read an article where was tested the performance improvement of Koni FSDs over OEM shocks on S197.
The improvement was significant, lap time in Finnish race circuit Alastaro improved from 1:39.04 to 1:34.50, lateral acceleration improved also from 0.85G to 1.1G.

I've read good feedback on Steeda Sports with Koni SRT.Ts.
So, for me the SRT.Ts might be the best choice, I go to race track maybe once or twice a summer.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Sam, I was wondering if the Koni sports are about the same weight as the stock dampers, and are the Steeda springs the same weight as stock??

During our phone conversation you did tell me the weight difference between your hollow bars and the stock front and rear sway bars, but I forgot to ask about the springs and shocks/struts.

The reason I'm curious is that if you make weight your priority, after weighing all my stock parts originally after they came off the car, and the new ones, if you can save let's say 6 lbs total from lighter springs, 22lbs savings from Sam's lighter tubular sway bars, 14 lbs savings from changing from stock panhard bar/brace(very heavy) to the 18 lb watts link unit(my switch), and change out the very heavy stock LCAs to better lighter ones, 14 lbs savings (my switch) you can save a basic total of about 56 lbs just from your basic suspension upgrade, not to mention the performance gains.

BTW the Steeda PHB + brace weigh 17 lbs (stock about 32 lbs) Thanks, Erik

Last edited by eolson; 12-30-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FINGT
Sam, have you tested the Koni FSDs ?
http://www.koni.com/index.php?id=58&L=0

I read an article where was tested the performance improvement of Koni FSDs over OEM shocks on S197.
The improvement was significant, lap time in Finnish race circuit Alastaro improved from 1:39.04 to 1:34.50, lateral acceleration improved also from 0.85G to 1.1G.

I've read good feedback on Steeda Sports with Koni SRT.Ts.
So, for me the SRT.Ts might be the best choice, I go to race track maybe once or twice a summer.

Yep... I have. Hate them. In fact just took a set of a Z51 Corvette and replaced them with Sports.

As much of a shock freak I am there is no way they dropped 4.5 seconds or raised lateral G by that amount with shocks alone. No chance. There were other changes made.. You can't pull 1.1g on stock tires (or any tire short of an R-compound) anyway.

Quick Reply: Questions...2007 GT Lower, springs shocks ect...