Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Want to try corners

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 PM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

Default Want to try corners

I'm going to be 41 in a couple days and I've done the 1/4 mile thing for years, now I want to try and make corners, (both ways not the roundy round kind), looking to get some ideas from some of you out there that have tried driving schools... what did you think? I live in Idaho, so I'll have to make a trip and I want to drive/learn with my own car (2010 mustang) by the time I hit the track the car will have some engine mods, (ported heads, cams, intake, tuner, and Kooks lt's and cat'd mid pipe), so I need some (not too expensive) ideas on handling upgrades, (I already have the track pack on my GT) so shoot me some ideas, and tracks so I can start planning.. Thx
Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

ive always heard from hpde (high performance drivers ed.) that improve the driver then improve the car. but a sure thing to warrent better handling is to replace the dampers and sway bars.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Brake pads and better fluid should be first - the Track Pack pads may already be a step up from the regular GT pads (Performance Friction?), but I don't know about the fluid.

The Track Pack will be faster than you'll be for a while, and I'd really suggest actually driving the car enough to get familiar with it rather than try to guess what it'll "need" before you drive it at all.

Norm
Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Further to Norm's comment popular better fluids are Motul and ATE DOT 4 fluids.

There are several other current threads in this forum as well as this other forum on brakes and pads and rotors

http://s197forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86

In my opinion the single biggest factor to going faster is the driver and the more you spend on proper instruction and track time the faster you'll get.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:27 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

You might check NASA's web site and see if they offer a HPDE near your area. Also, I think there is a driving school in Salt Lake City that uses Mustangs.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Not the space NASA
http://www.nasaproracing.com/
Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Woo-hoo! Another drag-race convert! I love it. Get a clean supply of needles bub, you're about to get addicted!

I'll second what folks have already said. You're fine on your current suspension, just focus on getting the brakes up to snuff.

After messing around for a couple of years on track with no proper instruction, and seeing how bad that was for me, I'm a big-big proponent of getting proper schooling under your belt early on. I went to Bondurant, which is both expensive and not a school that uses your own car. Despite that, I wholeheartedly recommend them if you can swing it. Learning in a C6 Z51 Corvette is a great thing (very forgiving car) and your skills will easily transfer over to the Mustang; I wouldn't worry about that concern at all.

If you are looking for a closer, less-expensive alternative that also has you using your own car, I would highly recommend attending a NASA HPDE event. They (the National Auto Sport Association) have many different regions, will likely host events near you, and offer a great bang-for-your-buck schooling system. They will give you one instructor for the day or weekend who has you and only you to focus his or her attention on. You'll be in the classroom, out on track, then back to class all day long. You won't be out 5 or 6 times as you would with some club events (it's more like 4 times), but you'll learn a ton both on and off track. You'll also work towards getting a racing license; you may not be interested in competitive driving, but that gives you an idea how serious they take their schooling. I highly recommend you look into it.

Best,
-j
Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

I know the car is faster then I am, or faster then I can drive it, that's why I was hoping for a school that I could drive my own car, as far as driving it, I have almost 8k miles on it already, enjoying it alot, have searched and have found no school with a 2010 schedule yet, I was told of the school in Utah and another in Washington, but wasn't able to find a schedule, open to suggestions don't really want to to far but Vagas or southern Cali would be ok, all we have around here is parking lot SCCA which I may try, and a couple of hill climbs, which I have tried, (trophied but scared the hell outta me, 100+ foot drop offs with no rail)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

Thanks Philostang, I look through the Nasa site, all I found was 09 stuff, I'll look again and make sure I didn't miss the 10 schedule, and I agree with all of you, I want to go to school, I'm not going to tell anyone I don't need schooling.... I though I was a good boxer till I stepped in with a pro..... gave that up quick! I'm an ok drag racer, now I'd like to turn on something other then a 10 mph return road....
Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There is something to be said for taking in a few autocross events early in your corner-carving time, even if you plan to mostly play on the real road courses. You do learn car control, albeit at lower speeds. And the consequences of a newbie screw-up are unlikely to injure anything beyond your pride and possibly a flatspotted tire or two.

Norm

Quick Reply: Want to try corners