Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 AM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Default coilovers?

so... my browser goes to the general tech section most of the time i'm here. But it was recommended to me to stop over in the handling department for this question.

I'm looking to get rid of the floaty feeling in the front end and lower the car while retaining adjustability for when i change tires.

for this reason it seems that coilovers fit the bill. at this time i'm looking at BC Racing's BR Coilovers. http://www.bcracing-na.com/products.php?view=BR_Type

they're a grand for the car... and they seem to be equivalent to brands that are better known in the US.

any other recommendations? these seem to fit the bill for street use and occasional track usage while offering me everything that i'm looking for (as per above)
Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

theres a hundred other options for doing what you want to do. If you are dead set on coilovers, there are also some more well known brands such as KW, Tein Flex (with EDFC), Eibach, Megan Racing, and H&R Coilovers for our cars. I know that there are some 240sx guys running the BC Racing coilovers but i dont know what the verdict is on them.

From what i understand, not too many mustang guys are actually running coilovers, but instead opt for a good set of shocks and lowering springs. The shocks are gonna be the most essential part to getting rid of the floaty feeling.

Also when u lower be sure to address ur camber, and toe issues and panhard bar issues.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:13 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

the bc racing have front camber plates with option rear plates. these will be installed by a shop and an alignment done... so i assume the camber and toe will be taken care of.

what panhard bar issues are there?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Optimum alignment specs will vary depending on whether your track use means drag strip or road course, and optimum for either isn't likely to be Ford's "preferred spec". Even the easiest way to set them might differ. I can't find any clues as to which it's going to be.

Point being that either the alignment guy or anybody here who might suggest some specs would need to know that first.

Norm
Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Optimum alignment specs will vary depending on whether your track use means drag strip or road course, and optimum for either isn't likely to be Ford's "preferred spec". Even the easiest way to set them might differ. I can't find any clues as to which it's going to be.

Point being that either the alignment guy or anybody here who might suggest some specs would need to know that first.

Norm
i wasn't asking for specs perse. just what issue there are with the panhard bar when lowering the car. i know you need to adjust camber up front when lowering significantly.

the car is going to be a daily driver. but i intend on taking on some autocross and track days through out the year and a few runs down the 1/4.

but handling on the street/track is far more important to me and what i'm going to do more often
Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

the car has a solid rear axle. there is no rear camber (not sure what plates they offer) so you just need to get an adjustable panhard bar and that will fix the rear end alignment.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:11 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by peetiewonder
the car has a solid rear axle. there is no rear camber (not sure what plates they offer) so you just need to get an adjustable panhard bar and that will fix the rear end alignment.
ok cool. i'll pick up one of those as well when i make the purchase.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

stranoparts.com should have the stuff you need and sam strano will be more than willing to help you get everything all good.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Battle Max
1st Gear Member

Ive been running KW's for over a year now and love them. I had Tein's before and overall handling and comfort IMHO is better with KW's.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

I've been looking at doing coilovers a little more lately just to get the car sitting the way I want it to. I already have Sportlines and was considering just getting some Koni Str.T's to go with those but for a little more maybe I'll hold out for coilovers . I will most likely go to stranoparts.com to get them because Sam seems to be a respected vendor around here. I was wondering, out of the selection that he offers which basic coilover kit would be the best? I like a nice stiff suspension feel, rattle my filling loose kind of stuff, ok not really but definitely not afraid of a rough ride.

Quick Reply: coilovers?