Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension upgrade (kit preferably)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default Suspension upgrade (kit preferably)

I've got my tires and new wheels, now I need to upgrade my suspension a bit.

I've read through the 05/06 GT lowering thread and it contains a whole lot of info but it's spread out over a lot of useless comments so it's kinda hard to digest. I am looking for an entire kit for track day purposes. Not really worried too much about the ride, I can suffer, I want better performance. I was looking at BMR and Eibach to begin with as they both offer complete kits including shocks/struts, springs, panhard bars, and swaybars. Looking for opinions from people who use their car for track purposes, not street performance purposes. I have the 09 GT/CS so it's already got the stock ground effects on it and I don't plan on putting any other ground effects other than that.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Go over and take a look at steeda.......
Old 01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRock
Go over and take a look at steeda.......
What's the difference between the stage 1 kit and the BMR lowering kit beside the rear swaybar though.

http://www.steeda.com/products/05-06_handling_pak.php

http://www.lmperformance.com/7785/73.html

It seems like you get more bang for the buck with BMR, or is Steeda a much higher quality product?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

If you want to call me, I can help you through the process. I'm a Steeda Dealer, also one for MM, and a lot of other companies. In fact you will not find another company (I can't think of one) that has the range of products I carry. And none of them know this car and it's suspension like I do, I can promise you that.

I don't think either of those "kits" is right mostly because they both leave out a hugely important thing, better shocks. That said, in no way are LCA brackets required (I don't run them on any of my 3 lowered, solid axle cars). BMR springs are looks springs, they aren't any stiffer than stock really but lower the car which makes your bumpstops come into play much more often (and when you hit 'em you hit 'em harder).

Yes, IMHO Steeda is a much better product. I readily admit I don't sell BMR. I had the chance to do so @ great prices, but passed because I just don't much like their stuff--and yes, I have the proof of the offer I declined.

Anyway, each part has a job. I feel Steeda springs are among the very best. I don't think you need the STB, and I have my own swaybars that are sized the same, but mine are adjustable and hollow at both ends of the car. Steeda and BMR bars are only adjustable in front, and the rears are both solid (heavier). That said, bars aren't needed to lower the car.

You want the car to work and work well? Koni STR.T shocks, Steeda Sport or Ultralite springs, Strano bars, Steeda HD mounts. There are other shock options, but the other things are pretty much the best for most instances on a street car.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 AM
jodadejss06gt
1st Gear Member

I've got almost the exact setup that Sam mentioned above minus the bars. My car handles a million times better than stock. I did just recently put on staggered wheels and tires and that has let to what feels like some understeer. I'm hoping to get bars from Sam in the near future to help dial in a little better cornering feel.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Default "handling" explained, great link.

In a discussion on another forum, a customer of mine posted this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shwgNV36xFA

It's quite good at explain why outright grip is different from handling. I've been trying to explain that for years. So many people only car "how many G will it pull" when that's not really indicative of how the car actually behaves. Handling is a mix of lots of things, and the term for me is very broad. How a car handles incorporates not only grip, but also stability, predictability and balance as well.

The presenter of the video (who is a world-class Sports car racer in things like Porsche 962's) is dead on when he describes "handling" and how it can be subjective.

Also some other notes from the video. You'll notice in the slalom test (which is something us autocrossers are always doing) the car that gets all sorts of stupid is just flopping about like a dying fish. The cars that do better are much better damped and the roll rate is very much controlled. That's one reason I'm always going on and on about shocks being so important.

You can see in these video's how hard I can drive cars setup to be flogged:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0LkxvH2gn0

That is a car that handles. And on a skidpad the car can pull even more grip than what you see for values in the video. As was pointed out a skidpad is not exactly real-world driving, we do not drive in big smooth 200-300' circles, we have to turn, accelerate, stop.... and blend those things together.

I just thought you guys might like to see the video, and frankly it is a great way to show/explain my personal thinking when setting up a car.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

That is pretty neat. Watching that last vid makes me want to get back into it.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
If you want to call me, I can help you through the process. I'm a Steeda Dealer, also one for MM, and a lot of other companies. In fact you will not find another company (I can't think of one) that has the range of products I carry. And none of them know this car and it's suspension like I do, I can promise you that.

I don't think either of those "kits" is right mostly because they both leave out a hugely important thing, better shocks. That said, in no way are LCA brackets required (I don't run them on any of my 3 lowered, solid axle cars). BMR springs are looks springs, they aren't any stiffer than stock really but lower the car which makes your bumpstops come into play much more often (and when you hit 'em you hit 'em harder).

Yes, IMHO Steeda is a much better product. I readily admit I don't sell BMR. I had the chance to do so @ great prices, but passed because I just don't much like their stuff--and yes, I have the proof of the offer I declined.

Anyway, each part has a job. I feel Steeda springs are among the very best. I don't think you need the STB, and I have my own swaybars that are sized the same, but mine are adjustable and hollow at both ends of the car. Steeda and BMR bars are only adjustable in front, and the rears are both solid (heavier). That said, bars aren't needed to lower the car.

You want the car to work and work well? Koni STR.T shocks, Steeda Sport or Ultralite springs, Strano bars, Steeda HD mounts. There are other shock options, but the other things are pretty much the best for most instances on a street car.
Koni STR.T shocks. Steeda Sport springs. Would the competition series be even better? Again, I am really not worried about the ride. It is a daily driver but only for a short drive to work, I am within walking distance of everything else I need on a daily basis. Strano front and rear sway bars (as well as the panhard bar?).

Also, I am looking to do this in steps. The springs/shocks first. I wanna have it lowered for the next track day which is in February and I am waiting for my tax return to buy rest. Could I get the springs and just use the stock shocks?

Last edited by gmoran1469; 01-23-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:26 AM
V8s_Are_Great

Check out Megan Racing's coilover set. They usually make products for the imports crowd but they branched out for the Focus and Mustang. As far as I know, they're fully adjustable. I've heard a lot of good reviews but try doing some research and building an opinion for yourself.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Gonna give ya a call sometime this week Sam. Probably order a set of the Steeda Competition Springs seeing as you have free shipping on those right now. I am thinking of just using the stock shocks for right now though I may also order one of your Strano sway bar packages from you at the same time. What's the difference between package 2 and package 3? (I am guessing just the end-links so which ones perform better?)

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade (kit preferably)