Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Eibach Suspension, and O.Z. Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Itazy

Default Eibach Suspension, and O.Z. Wheels

Hi, this spring I'm looking into a new suspension for my 05 GT. I would rather avoid mixing different brands of shocks/struts/springs/rollbars so the Eibach pro kit seems the best bang for the buck http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...Sway-Bars.html. It includes shocks/struts/springs/rollbars for $900. Anyone have feedback on this kit?

The issue i have with lowering my car (1.3 Front, 1.5 Back) is clearance for new wheels. I was planning on putting 20 inch O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT's on http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...5&autoModClar=. The problem is tire size. The recomended tire size from tirerack is 255/35-20 and I really doubt i can fit 255's on the lowered car without rubbing. Can anyone confirm this? Or has anyone tried putting smaller tires on 20' rims?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Are your objectives purely appearance or do you care about handling?

If you are interested in handling then lowering the car that much and using 20 inch wheels is considered by many to be detrimental to handling performance.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 02-15-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Itazy

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Are your objetives purely appearance or do you care about handling?

If you are interested in handling then lowering the car that much and using 20 inch wheels is considered by many to be detrimental to handling performance.
Actually, I do prefer performance over looks heh. I didn't think the rim size effected handling though, thought it mainly came down to tire size.

Thanks for the info, I guess i stay away from larger rims
Old 02-15-2010, 03:14 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Itazy
Actually, I do prefer performance over looks heh. I didn't think the rim size effected handling though, thought it mainly came down to tire size.

Thanks for the info, I guess i stay away from larger rims
larger rims = more unsprung mass = worse handling in general. 20s generally way 30+ lbs per wheels easily where as same width 18s may only weigh in the 20s.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Same outside diameter with larger rims also results in shorter stiffer sidewalls and this degrades handling and ride.

Lowering the car more than about an ich degrades suspension geometry and reduces travel so that you are almost on the bump stops.

The combination turns the car into the equivalent of a "go kart".
Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Going with a kit rather than mixing brands isn't always a good idea. I just installed some Koni STR.T dampers and Steeda Sport springs on my 09 GT/CS and it was a huge handling increase from stock. I have been trying like hell to find something I don't like about it but I simply can't. It corners like a dream, when I accelerate there is no more huge dip in the rear, when I brake no more huge front end dive, when I turn, 100% less body roll. It doesn't ride any worse and it looks sweet. I used the HD mounts from Steeda as well and the extra camber is sweet too.

Great part about it, that setup will only lower the car about 1" in the front and 1 1/4" in the rear, it will even out the car but it might not sit too low and you may be able to still run those 20's.

Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts
Steeda Sport springs
Steeda HD Mounts
Old 02-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

On tirerack.com they say that the wheels the OP wants only weigh 23lbs. each.
So I guess weight wouldn't be that bad but still would have little to no sidewall, right?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Really short sidewalls are kind of a two-edged sword. You generally gain where steering response is concerned, but can lose when the roads are much less than perfect (where you want the tires to have a little compliance so they stay in better contact with the pavement). Ultimately, they'd likely want a slightly different camber setting and a bit more roll stiffness (springs & sta-bars).

Norm
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The other thing to consider is what tires you want run and can you get those tires to fit the rims you want?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Itazy

Thanks a lot for all the replys.

Originally Posted by peetiewonder
larger rims = more unsprung mass = worse handling in general. 20s generally way 30+ lbs per wheels easily where as same width 18s may only weigh in the 20s.
Same outside diameter with larger rims also results in shorter stiffer sidewalls and this degrades handling and ride.

Lowering the car more than about an ich degrades suspension geometry and reduces travel so that you are almost on the bump stops.

The combination turns the car into the equivalent of a "go kart".
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Really short sidewalls are kind of a two-edged sword. You generally gain where steering response is concerned, but can lose when the roads are much less than perfect (where you want the tires to have a little compliance so they stay in better contact with the pavement). Ultimately, they'd likely want a slightly different camber setting and a bit more roll stiffness (springs & sta-bars).

Norm
I'm starting to understand. With shorter sidewalls ill have less comfort, worse handling on bumpy roads, but better steering response/corning. Can you explain the terminology "go kart" i don't really understand what you mean. Thanks!

And about the weight, at least for the O.Z.'s i was looking at they weigh the same as most 18in.wheels including BBS's (around 23lbs)

The other thing to consider is what tires you want run and can you get those tires to fit the rims you want?
I was just going to research Tirerack for the best rated tires that fit heh. Unless your talking about a specific size, i just wanted the best fit for the tire in terms of performance.

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
Going with a kit rather than mixing brands isn't always a good idea. I just installed some Koni STR.T dampers and Steeda Sport springs on my 09 GT/CS and it was a huge handling increase from stock. I have been trying like hell to find something I don't like about it but I simply can't. It corners like a dream, when I accelerate there is no more huge dip in the rear, when I brake no more huge front end dive, when I turn, 100% less body roll. It doesn't ride any worse and it looks sweet. I used the HD mounts from Steeda as well and the extra camber is sweet too.

Great part about it, that setup will only lower the car about 1" in the front and 1 1/4" in the rear, it will even out the car but it might not sit too low and you may be able to still run those 20's.

Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts
Steeda Sport springs
Steeda HD Mounts
Sounds great! But I'm curious for the same price trying the Eibachs which include front and back sway bars. I understand that I won't be getting the optimal struts or springs, but i would be gaining roll bars to even things out.

Unless the performance from the Koni struts and streeda springs is so superior, that even with the roll bars, the Eibach system would be worse off? I would love to here more about the comparison thanks for bringing it up!

Quick Reply: Eibach Suspension, and O.Z. Wheels