Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda HD mount install questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Default Steeda HD mount install questions

I am eventually going to be installing HD strut mounts and the directions are sorta crappy. The question I have, is... It tells you to line up the steeda logo in the plate with the outside of the car.... So would that logo be closest to fender, or logo go towards front of car? Anyone have any tips as to how to position it? Thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
I am eventually going to be installing HD strut mounts and the directions are sorta crappy. The question I have, is... It tells you to line up the steeda logo in the plate with the outside of the car.... So would that logo be closest to fender, or logo go towards front of car? Anyone have any tips as to how to position it? Thanks
They would go toward the fender. You want to be able to see the points on the side of the strut mount through the holes in the shock tower.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Thanks!

And the extra lube, is that for the rubber/poly pieces?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:29 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I am curious about the lube as well... There were no directions for it's use. I ended up not using it at all, though if I find out what it was for I may have to tear it down and use it.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Must be something new in the past couple years. Mine came lubed.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

The bearing is already lubed, the tube says energy suspension formula 5 prelube.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I've had mine apart 4-5 times swapping springs back and forth. I pull the mounts apart, wipe out all the grit and dirt that accumulates internally and use the supplied grease to relube the needle bearings. You'd be surprised at how much crud gets inside after just 6 months of usage...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

The install instructions indicate that the supplied grease is for the poly busings *only*. That Energy Suspension lube is probably not ideal for metal roller bearings. Just FYI...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info. The waterproof white grease I've been using appears to be ok but I'll have them apart again in a few weeks prior to a long roadtrip and will contact steeda for their recommendation.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Garyalpusa

I used the lube to grease up the O rings that are on the bushing that the strut shaft goes thru. The bushing with the O rings squeezes into the lower plate and you will tear up the rings if they are not lubed. I had mine on the car for a couple of years before I changed springs. I had to change all the O rings because they were all torn. Assemble the upper and lower plates, put a nut on one or two of the studs to keep it together, assemble the strut with the springs and strut pad. Then you can take the nuts off and install the strut in the car.

Quick Reply: Steeda HD mount install questions