Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Building a track stang

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I ran an upgraded PHB and brace my first season but was not happy with how the rear end behaved, especially on transitions such as through a chicane. I put in a FAYS2 Watt's Link for my second season and am much happeir with the feel of the rear end.
thanks for the info
Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2sixd
If I had a nickel for everybody who thought they were Mario-@#$@#-Andretti and were wrong I'd be a very rich man; look out Bill Gates. Everybody can use advice on driving. Everybody. The sooner you learn that the better driver you'll be.
Wrong. Everyone can still learn from their mistakes and become a better driver. Not everyone needs driving advice. Two different things. "Advice" usually comes from the idiots who think they are Mario Andretti. That's why most of the time I don't listen to those guys. I watch the drivers who are leading and learn from them as well as learn from myself while I am on the track. No one better to learn from than yourself.

I was looking at the Watt's and wasn't sure but it may be an option now. The PHB causes the rear to get a lil squirrley at times but it's not to bad. We plan on picking up a flood insurance total and rebuilding it.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
I was looking at the Watt's and wasn't sure but it may be an option now. The PHB causes the rear to get a lil squirrley at times but it's not to bad. We plan on picking up a flood insurance total and rebuilding it.
There's a reason even top flight drivers still have coaches. You can't see everything you're doing wrong from the driver's seat.

Regarding the Watt's issue, I have been wondering how big a difference a Watt's link would make myself. Then my OE trak-lok differential wore out (well, to be correct has-been-wearing out) and I replaced it with a T2R. I was surprised by the difference that made in stability and grip in a bumpy corner. So much so, that I'm back to not seeing the need for a Watts link. What was happening is that as a tire would unweight due to a mid-corner bump, the torque from the engine would spin it and the car would feel unstable (i.e. required steering input). The T2R addresses a lot of the instability.

Not saying the Watts wouldn't make it even better, just that I'm not sure I would notice as a big a difference in mid corner stability as I did going from a worn out trak-lok diff to the T2R.

FWIW, the trak-loc differential barely made it 6K miles of driving to/from events and the autocross/track events themselves before the clutches were toast. I think the real killer was probably autocross, but that's just a guess.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by candymanjl
if money isn't an option start looking at part to drop some weight. BMR makes a lot of parts that replace stock parts to help you lose weight. plus a lot of their parts take weight off the front, helps balance the car some more. they also make some frame braces that help stiffen the chassis. a single piece aluminum drive shaft will drop some weight too. some forged race wheels will help lower the total weight of the car too.

dropping weight is what I'd be looking at personally but it get's pretty pricey pretty quick. if it's a track only trailered car and the rules let you do it then start to strip that thing down. get rid of all the extra power stuff and get some lightweight seats, that kinda stuff. I bet there's a lot of weight that can be removed.

for the rear end the Watts link looks like a really cool setup but I don't know if it's a noticeable difference from the upgraded panhard bar or not, for the money it better be! the concept seems better and makes sense to me but maybe someone with more experience could go into detail on that one.
Beware of parts designed only to drop weight, as they are usually drag race oriented. Further, some folks wouldn't know a corner if it smacked them the head. And others are content to just do things that are good enough for the general street driver who never really pushes the car.

And Watts links are cool, and work really well (some better than others). But it's no substitute for good springs, bars, shocks first.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:39 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2sixd
There's a reason even top flight drivers still have coaches. You can't see everything you're doing wrong from the driver's seat.

Regarding the Watt's issue, I have been wondering how big a difference a Watt's link would make myself. Then my OE trak-lok differential wore out (well, to be correct has-been-wearing out) and I replaced it with a T2R. I was surprised by the difference that made in stability and grip in a bumpy corner. So much so, that I'm back to not seeing the need for a Watts link. What was happening is that as a tire would unweight due to a mid-corner bump, the torque from the engine would spin it and the car would feel unstable (i.e. required steering input). The T2R addresses a lot of the instability.

Not saying the Watts wouldn't make it even better, just that I'm not sure I would notice as a big a difference in mid corner stability as I did going from a worn out trak-lok diff to the T2R.

FWIW, the trak-loc differential barely made it 6K miles of driving to/from events and the autocross/track events themselves before the clutches were toast. I think the real killer was probably autocross, but that's just a guess.
Gettin into the difference of advice and coaching brings up that experience factor again but that's another convo.

Hrmm... I still have the OE stuff and I've been to quite a few track events so far. Been keeping an eye out for the stangs online. Quite a few are going for 5k with very minimal flood damage.

Strip out the interior, lightweight aluminum seat, quick-release wheel, break down the dash to the bare minimums, strut braces, sub-frames, coil-overs, new sways, panhard (maybe watt's), wheels, tires, HD mounts, CAI, tune, plugs, radiator, underdrive pulleys, battery... Got a lot of saving and work to do hehe

Last edited by gmoran1469; 03-26-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Beware of parts designed only to drop weight, as they are usually drag race oriented. Further, some folks wouldn't know a corner if it smacked them the head. And others are content to just do things that are good enough for the general street driver who never really pushes the car.

And Watts links are cool, and work really well (some better than others). But it's no substitute for good springs, bars, shocks first.
I did see they had some that were specific to drag racing, BMR's site noted it when that was the case.

I think I'll get the springs and shocks and that kinda stuff first, worry about the other stuff later
Old 03-26-2010, 10:44 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Not looking for driving advice or which car to start out with advice. Asked a specific question, only interested in specific answers. I was curious if there was a big difference between the two once the pony is upgraded. Apparently there isn't. Saves me some trouble.

Starting with a 1985 RX-7, moving up to a S197 with at least GT standard HP.

Strictly a trailered track car.

Don't need advice on driving either. I handle myself on the track pretty well considering I am running times way faster than the Miata's, 944's, and even some of the GT2 class in my street mustang.

I haven't decided on the final list of equipment for the build so actual coil-overs and parts will vary but here is a rough rundown:

Coil-over kit, rotor cooling, DBA Slotted 2 piece rotors, not sure about wheels but will probably run with the 18x9.5 steeda ultra's, goodridge SS lines, umi 1055 panhard, Strano sway bar stage 3 kit, CAI, Tune, Steeda HD mounts, you see where I am going with this, or at least I hope you do. Any other recommended upgrades. I run all this except the coil-overs, 2-piece slotted rotors, and the Sway bars on my street car.
It would have been nice if you included all the above information in your first post.

You did not ask "a specific question", you asked a general "ricer" question. I'm glad that you were called out and had to provide more information.

IMO, this Mustang forum is as close as you will get to C-C.com on the net. Maybe some day you will appreciate that, rather than getting all defensive.

No offense intented, but then again you haven't impressed me with a post yet.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

For weight savings how about a 90 Lx 2.3L ?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Just1Guy
1st Gear Member

Wrong. Everyone can still learn from their mistakes and become a better driver. Not everyone needs driving advice. Two different things. "Advice" usually comes from the idiots who think they are Mario Andretti. That's why most of the time I don't listen to those guys. I watch the drivers who are leading and learn from them as well as learn from myself while I am on the track. No one better to learn from than yourself.

I wish I had a dollar for everyone with you attitude that ended up hitting a plateau early on and then never got faster. And in the meantime tore up or destroyed a pile of equipment. I have a few of you in every track class I teach and a few a year that pay to take a one on one course but show up with the wrong attitude and a car with the entire catalog but is dog slow because it is set up wrong.

Do yourself a favor and come back down to earth. I have never met a new “student” that thought they had it figured out ever get fast. But I have see quite a few people who just wanted to learn, have fun and knew that they were clueless become incredibly fast in short order.

Knowing your personality type makes me think I just wasted my time. Now you are going to be mad at me when you should be spending time on introspection.

Good luck
Old 03-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

100% agree not sure with whom. Good luck on your track car, sounds like a fun build and a fun ride.

Quick Reply: Building a track stang