Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

is this lower control arm kit anygood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Default is this lower control arm kit anygood?

Was thinking about getting this..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UPI-103546-R/
Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Roys07GT
1st Gear Member

I don't have first hand knowledge on these but have heard good things about UMI on many forums. This is the exact kit I plan to install in the next month or so. I have had contact with UMI via email, they were extremely responsive and helpful.

Let me know if you get them and how they perform, I will do the same if I get mine first.

BTW, they are a PA company...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

ok..sounds good
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

The one issue is the none adjustable upper center link. If you lower the car you need to adjust that link to get the proper pinion angle. The Mustang suffers from drive shaft issues as is lowering it and not adjusting the angle will make it worse.

Also I have in the past run into problems with solid urethane bushings. I just recently found an answer to those problems in the suspension pieces from J&M. Yes they cost more but I am sure they will work better. I have ordered my they should be here any day. You should check them out.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Wow...1.625" od tubing! Those are some BIG control arms. (Typo, I'm sure)
As long as you don't plan on changing your ride height, they'll be fine, but if you plan on lowering your car you might consider some adjustability.

Edit...sorry for the repeat...908 beat me to it.

Solid urethane bushings will actually add some roll resistance, FWIW.

Last edited by steelcomp; 05-24-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

what about this 3rd link..says its for lowered cars
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=99&ModelID=5

Also how do you set the pinion angle
Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Check out this upper link from J&M then checkout the rest of their line. Yes it more expensive. But the solid axle in a Mustang tilts from side to side those cheaper control arms fight this tilt. That is not the job of the control arm that is the job of the springs and sway bars. Hard urethane bushings work fine if all you do is go straight and want to stop flex in the rubber of the system but when you have bumps and corner to deal with they fight the suspension not allowing it to do the job it was designed for. That's why racers used steel spherical rod ends not urethane. J&M has invented a poly rod end it gives swivel freedom equivalent to the stock rubber bushings but eliminates the fore and aft moment like a spherical rod end.
http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.ph...ct_detail&p=21
Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I guess I should also mention I dont race, never have and really never plan on going to a track strip or road course. I just like to mod and make it my own. So I guess I dont need the ultimate setup. Still how do you adjust pinion angle
Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

An adjustable upper control arm is threaded and two pieces which by screwing it in or out you can increase or decrease the overall length of the arm. This arm connects the vehicle body to the top of the differential housing. Now if you imagine a longer arm will push the top of the differential towards the rear of the vehicle and a shorter one will pull it towards the front. This in turn rotates the entire rear end and axle which changes the angle at which the driveshaft and U-joint connect. I hope that made sense.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I know how the control arm works..I dont know how you measure the pinion angle to adjust it to the proper length. and what is the proper pinion angle

Quick Reply: is this lower control arm kit anygood?