Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 AM
wiking
1st Gear Member

Default suspension question

I have a 2010 GT - I am going to put (example) Ford K springs/Tokico HP shocks/struts on at some point (need to get the parts and having a Ford dealer put it all on since I don't have a place to do it myself) - do I need any other parts? This will be a a daily driven car, w/no track, etc. Just want to lower the car for now, but want it done right. I can add sway bars, etc later myself. Did the search and some say you need this or that, just want to know if there is any other part I need to get for now? Should point out also that I am running 255/35/20 front and 295/30/20 rear. Thanks

Last edited by wiking; 06-26-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 AM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

Be prepared for a lot of different responses on this subject,but I would go with Koni Str.t shocks and struts. Lifetime warranty.You'll need camber bolts too.While you are doing this mod, hopefully once, you may want to get new strut mounts,GT500 are the cheapest route, at about 65 bucks a pair, or the Steeda or J&M, or Maximum Motorsports strut mounts, but that is on the high end between 250-300 bucks.If your not gonna race, you can probably get away with the GT500 strut mounts.
link http://www.cjponyparts.com/front-str...010/p/M18183A/, note the Steeda mounts are right next to the GT500 mounts on the same page
Old 06-26-2010, 07:53 AM
wiking
1st Gear Member

Maybe a better way of getting an answer is - suggestions for a street set-up (springs/shocks/struts and whatever else would be needed)?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 AM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

call Sam Strano
www.stranoparts.com
he'll tell ya everything you want to know
Old 06-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I doubt that HP's are enough shock/strut for 1.5" drop. STR.T's sound like a better bet, although 1.5" drop might be pushing their limits a bit as well. You can always get either of the adjustables and experiment a little with the settings until you find something that you're happy with (start full soft and go up rather than adjusting down from full stiff).

Give Sam Strano a call.

For street driving, you'll almost certainly have to do something to correct the camber after lowering, either camber bolts (which I won't recommend if you drive hard) or camber plates/adjustable upper strut mounts. You may or may not need to re-center your axle with an adjustable PHB. You will not need a PHB brace (incorrectly aka "upper PHB") even if you swap the PHB itself.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-26-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:01 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

let me highly recommend new strut mounts. i didn't replace mine when i put on my springs/dampers and they recently failed. do it right the first time...
Old 06-26-2010, 10:26 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i can say withoout a doubt stay away from the eibach pro kit and tokino blue dampers it rides horribly. I have the koni yellows on steeda sport spirings. i hear the koni strt dameprs are basically liek th yellow son full soft. with the yellows on full soft the ride is fantastic. You will probably need a adjustable panhard bar too along with teh camber bolts and gt500 or just stock gt strut mounts.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 AM
wiking
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies - I'll talk to Strano and go from there.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM
starbai
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i can say withoout a doubt stay away from the eibach pro kit and tokino blue dampers it rides horribly. I have the koni yellows on steeda sport spirings. i hear the koni strt dameprs are basically liek th yellow son full soft. with the yellows on full soft the ride is fantastic. You will probably need a adjustable panhard bar too along with teh camber bolts and gt500 or just stock gt strut mounts.
Is there another name for 'strut mounts' ?

In other threads asking for whats needed to lower the mustang substantially I've read, and understand a full parts list to be:

1. Spring/Strut combo that will lower the car (in my case hopefully coilovers)
2. Adj, Camber Plates
3. Adj, Caster Plates
4. Adjustable Panhard Bar.

So when I hear camber bolts, I'm not sure if that's something that's included with a camber plate?

I am pretty sure I know what they are and I dont think that a caster plate is the same thing as a new strut mount...

So that all being said... Can anyone clarify this 'definitive parts list' for me?

Thanks fellahs! and sorry to: on the subject. Noob just needs clarification is all
Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

You will need:

1. Springs/Struts
2. Adjustable camber/caster plates (one part, not two) OR adjustable camber bolts. This is to correct your alignment
3. Adjustable panhard bar
4. It's STRONGLY recommended that you also replace the upper strut mounts (GT500 are a good, cheap option) due to the stockers being extremely weak.

I tried to save my stock upper strut mounts and ended up having to go back in and install the GT500 mounts. Save yourself the trouble...do it all at once.

Quick Reply: suspension question