Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Assembly help.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Assembly help.

Hey,

Koni didn't include much of anything for instructions, same for steeda. I have Koni yellows, Steeda HD mounts and Steeda Lowering springs.

Question is, how does it all go together and is it possible to do it by hand?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

There are several how-to's listed in the main 05-11 tech stickies. Taco's is one with great pics/illustrations. https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ll-w-pics.html

Have several hours available the first time, ramps, floorjack, required tools, and a spring compressor. Read over the how-tos several times until you can visualize every step. Go SLOW, take your time. Safety first. It's not difficult. These cars are simply made.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Menace--

I'm sorry that you opted to go with another vendor for this stuff. And I'm sorry if you felt I was being too blunt with you regarding the pricing vs. service. But you are experiencing what I was trying to tell you about.

I do this stuff all day, every day--and with the sale comes all the setup help. That takes time, and time is money, which is why I don't see me at the rock bottom of all those prices--but rather at a more than fair level.

I'm sorry I can't really help you with the procedures. My recommendation would be to call whoever you got those items from and ask them. Hopefully they can help you out.

I'm glad you are home safe, and enjoy your parts.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Sam,

Actually we all come to the forums for help and advice... if you choose not to give any, that is up to you... No one is paying for advice here. Though I shall not get personal.

I will like to say, the reason I went to another vendor is because you told me you didn't have any in stock -- and that no one did -- and that you wouldn't get any until August 20th. This is a project I wanted to do while I was home.

With that being said, everything is installed. I used taco bills reference as well as the one from the mustang website, and a youtube video from Motorz TV. I just wasn't understanding the vague instructions from Steeda, and Koni. Later on I realized what I needed from the stock struts, got a spring compressor and took it apart, assembled the Konis with the Steeda mounts and everything went smoothly.

Question I have is this... before I mess with the settings, is there anyway to determine if the struts/shocks adjustable setting is default? All soft, or all firm? I just want to know if I use the tool if there is going to be a stop in both ways that way I know exactly how many turns from soft or firm I am.

Thanks guys,
Kal
Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I called Koni up and asked about the setting. The rear shock instructions had me fooled so now all is well. I took the advice of another member and did 2 turns firm on the front, 1 turn firm in the rear. Took it for a quick ride to return the spring compressor and it all drove smoothly. The steering wasn't off at all either, and I put the Steeda mounts eye-balled center. Still need to take it and have it aligned properly though but the steeda mounts should make it into a pretty quick job I think. Those things are well worth the money.

Here is a picture. The extra 1/4 drop in the rear now makes it look a little odd because I have a 28" tire in the back, but I'll manage it. Thanks everyone for all the support and suggestions.

Tomorrow if the weather is nice she's gonna get the ultimate zaino treatment... just got in about $200 worth of Zaino to include their new products. Can't wait.
Attached Thumbnails Assembly help.-20100805155637.jpg   Assembly help.-20100805155649.jpg   Assembly help.-20100805155700.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I guess the steeda springs pretty much level the car exactly front and rear. I had to mix/match steeda ultralite front and roush rears to even get a 1/4-1/2 rake front to rear, which I prefer. I didn't like mixing and matching but it looks good and works so I'm happy with it.

Theoretically you 'should' get a rake out of the steedas but I did not. I'm under the impression the steeda HD front strut mounts actually raise the front end a bit but can't be certain of it.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The Koni Yellows have a hard stop at both ends of the adjustment range.

I find the best way to set them is to always turn them to full Firm and then back off the desired number of turns.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Hey Sleeper, I turned them full soft and then went 2 turns firm front, 1 turn firm rear. I was under the impression that was how it was done? I could be wrong?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I haven't tested mine but was told that the full range is about 2.25 turns so if you went full soft and then 2 complete turns towards firm then you are almost on full firm on the front. If so do you have any kidneys left?

I tried full firm on both ends on the track and could only take it for about 3 laps! It was like driving a go-kart.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Sleeper, after reading that I went ahead and did one turn softer on the front. I didn't do much driving so I didn't see any effects on my kidneys. Though now they are softer in the front the ride still isn't bad.