Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Panhard went caput

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default Panhard went caput

My UMI 1055 came apart recently. I made sure everything was tight before installing it too. Double and triple checked (though it was my first install). The seal that screws in to hold the roto-joint in unscrewed itself, I only noticed it due to increased noise (it normal made more noise but it was getting very noisy) and the fact that at 80 MPH on my way to work the rear end started swaying while I was going straight...

Popped the stock one in.... To my surprise I can barely feel the difference. Don't get me wrong, I CAN tell the difference, it's just that it seems to not make that much of a difference in handling. If anything, the rear end seems stiffer and more planted. What do you guys think? Did you notice a large chance in handling when installing an adjustable panhard with roto-joints?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Call me or UMI and we'll get it straightened out. In fact this is the first issue we've had of any sort and I'd like to know what happened (please).

The stock PHB has rubber bushings in it, and as you might have seen also has notches cut out. They are not nearly as low deflection as a roto-joint or rod-end. My guess is somehow the roto-joint was backing off allowing the ball to move (meaning more lateral movement) and that's why the difference wasn't huge.

FWIW, again this is worth a phone call as UMI will take care of it. And also they made a change to the roto-joints a while back with a set screw to make sure things didn't back out. I think that might have been changed after you got yours.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

My delsphere components have the little set screws but they aren't very bulky. I noticed one was loose last time I was under the car. Something else to check every few months. Like you, I observed a minimal improvement with aftermarket panhard bars (ran two different brands). If you have the money, talk to Sam about a watts link. IMO, it's the best thing you can do for the rear suspension of these cars. HUGE difference over the panhard. I don't think I will ever own another SRA car without one.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:52 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
My delsphere components have the little set screws but they aren't very bulky. I noticed one was loose last time I was under the car. Something else to check every few months. Like you, I observed a minimal improvement with aftermarket panhard bars (ran two different brands). If you have the money, talk to Sam about a watts link. IMO, it's the best thing you can do for the rear suspension of these cars. HUGE difference over the panhard. I don't think I will ever own another SRA car without one.
Yeah, that's on the list of things to upgrade but I was planning on a GT500 brake kit upgrade first.

I'll give UMI a call per Sams advice.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

That's good advice. If they are constructed similar to the spohns (and I believe they are), you can just swap the newer style joint onto the existing panhard. They may send you an upgraded joint at no cost. Good luck with it.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:01 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Here's a pic since what good is a thread without pics.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Yep the cap just backed out. The new version with a set screw will take care of that. Sorry that it happened, but the good news is it's nothing "major". Call UMI (ask for Ryan or Jerry) and they'll take care of you.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yeah, from the looks of it you can just thread a replacement joint right on the end. Appears to have some damage to the delrin bushing so it will likely need replacement. Should be very easy to fix. That's what I love about the adjustable spohn parts, and the UMI's look similar. If you ever damage a roto-joint or delphere they can be easily replaced.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Woot!

UMI is sending out not one, but two new updated rod ends free of charge! Gogo UMI!

Been really driving with the stocker in there in an attempt to feel the difference between the two panhards once I put the 1055 back in.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Hey, what about me? I knew they'd take care of it for you.

Quick Reply: Panhard went caput