Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

TMP Exotic Car Lapping Day Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

man, after watching these i cant wait for a chance to get to the track...
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Looks like a blast! I'm no driving expert, but it looks like you turn in pretty early and early apex a lot of corners. Usually late apexing the corners which lead into the straights provides better lap times.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Looks like a blast! I'm no driving expert, but it looks like you turn in pretty early and early apex a lot of corners. Usually late apexing the corners which lead into the straights provides better lap times.
Actually watching the videos and being behind Colin at the event, I can vouch that his lines were pretty well spot on. There is one section of the track where there is some controversy as to the proper line so one cannot be critical when one uses one or the other as there is no consensus. The second straight is entered at high speed (for us) and only a normal or slight late apex is called for as we can't accelerate hard enough to carry over to the outer edge with anything too late. Late apexes work best with tighter corners, lower speeds and lower gears. And faster cars. The slower final turn on to the front straight calls for a reasonably late apex, but one has to be more circumspect due to the presence of a concrete wall at the track's outer edge. Discretion being the better part of valour, we usually aren't apexing optimally here.
All the other corners do not lead onto long straights so normal mid corner apexes are more the norm to maximize speed. Anyway the proof is in the pudding as Colin was setting personal bests that day.

Cheers.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
Actually watching the videos and being behind Colin at the event, I can vouch that his lines were pretty well spot on. There is one section of the track where there is some controversy as to the proper line so one cannot be critical when one uses one or the other as there is no consensus. The second straight is entered at high speed (for us) and only a normal or slight late apex is called for as we can't accelerate hard enough to carry over to the outer edge with anything too late. Late apexes work best with tighter corners, lower speeds and lower gears. And faster cars. The slower final turn on to the front straight calls for a reasonably late apex, but one has to be more circumspect due to the presence of a concrete wall at the track's outer edge. Discretion being the better part of valour, we usually aren't apexing optimally here.
All the other corners do not lead onto long straights so normal mid corner apexes are more the norm to maximize speed. Anyway the proof is in the pudding as Colin was setting personal bests that day.

Cheers.
Neil

Thanks for the kind words.

Once you get your 2011 set up to your liking it is going to be real fun between the four of us. I passed up on the Oct 3 Exotic Car Lapping day as it was cold and wet and I ended up spending the day working.

Can't wait till next spring and the first Exotic Car Lapping day

PS - you'll notice in the videos that I was getting closer to the front stright as the day wore on but the #1 objective always kicks in before I get too close.

The most exciting moment was when the Viper spun in front of me in turn 1 but I bet he found it even more exciting than I did.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 10-08-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:15 AM
JV Doose
1st Gear Member

man that looks like fun.