Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adjustable rear spring seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:06 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I can sell you only the adjusters if you wish. But you can't use those with a spring not intended for use with them (a coil-over spring) as the car would sit way, WAY too high. But I can get you the springs also.

And the Steeda adjusters are hugely nicer than the Ground Control stuff IMHO. Their stuff works, though is sometimes crude to say the least. I'm in the midst of having to revalve some "specially valved" Koni's from them for a customer's RX7 because the compression damping is all messed up (and even has a nice wave in the curve). Though I do still have their coil-over sleeves on my Z28 in the front (why not they work and doesn't make sense to replace what isn't a problem).
Sam, I don't see what that has to do with a Mustang other than a chance to bash GC. It's funny what you say...I have over 100K dd mi. on my Ground Control suspension with never an issue. They're hardly crude, by any stretch of the imagination. Every single component of theirs is still 100%, cosmetically, and functionally. I have 200# springs in the rear (380 front) and occasionally I hit the rer bump stops on a good bump, but 99% of the time I have no issues and my ride height is a lot lower than these guys. (27 1/8 F, 27 3/8 R to the fender on 275/40-18) I don't have the compression set very tight either, at least not on the street. Not when I have to drive 150mi a day.
I also have the Eibach rear bump stops which mount over the axle, right under the frame rail. Much nicer than the stock bump stops and they're rather soft, so somewhat progressive. At that, there's a little over an inch between the stop and frame. Not the area of the S197's "best" features.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:31 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
You also have a bit more weight over the front with the s/c so that could be affecting the ride height. The nice thing about springs is you can always resell them. I've tried H&R Race, H&R Sport, Steeda Comp and Steeda Ultralite. They've all resold rather quickly. I'm apprehensive about the ground control setup with eibach springs. I see they don't list rates, only sport/aggressive. I'm not big on eibach products and feel more comfortable with steeda. None of their products have ever let me down and I have plenty of their stuff on my car. I'm actually really happy with my spring setup/rates at the moment but want to replace the dampers.

I plan to swap the d-spec's to something else soon. I'm not happy with the rebound/compression adjustments. It's just a matter of weighing my options of dropping $800 on a set of Koni's along with the adjustable steeda rears for another $300. I'm nearing coilover expense at that point and would rather spend another couple hundred on a coilover setup but it won't be ground control. I've heard good things about the H&R clubsport setup as well as KW's offerings.
Eibach makes some of the best springs in the world. No reason to be afraid of what you don't know. You can call GC and they'll tell you what the rates are or you can just order what rate you want. I talked to Jay for a month before we came to an agreement on what it was I needed, and even then, I re-ordered springs a month later. They were going to just exchange the ones I had, but I decided to keep them. The coil overs and adjustable rears take any standard 2.5" spring.
I looked into KW, H&R, Tien, Progress Tech. (and others) and talked to every tech and rep I could, before making my decision on the GC stuff, and glad I did- over 100K mi later. There is nothing crude or second rate about their products what so ever. FWIW, I'm a professional race car fabricator and have built suspensions for some very fast, (300mph+)world record holding cars. That in itself is a very narrow field, and I'm not claiming to be Roman Slobodinsky, but I just want to offer some credibility. I also track my Mustang when I get a chance and the performance is there...I assure you. I'm in no way affiliated with GC. I haven't had a need to speak to Jay or anyone else there for years, although I'm considering some 225# rears just for grins....
If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:30 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
You also have a bit more weight over the front with the s/c so that could be affecting the ride height. The nice thing about springs is you can always resell them. I've tried H&R Race, H&R Sport, Steeda Comp and Steeda Ultralite. They've all resold rather quickly. I'm apprehensive about the ground control setup with eibach springs. I see they don't list rates, only sport/aggressive. I'm not big on eibach products and feel more comfortable with steeda. None of their products have ever let me down and I have plenty of their stuff on my car. I'm actually really happy with my spring setup/rates at the moment but want to replace the dampers.

I plan to swap the d-spec's to something else soon. I'm not happy with the rebound/compression adjustments. It's just a matter of weighing my options of dropping $800 on a set of Koni's along with the adjustable steeda rears for another $300. I'm nearing coilover expense at that point and would rather spend another couple hundred on a coilover setup but it won't be ground control. I've heard good things about the H&R clubsport setup as well as KW's offerings.
If it weren't for the Tokico D-Specs that are included with the Steeda coilovers, I would consider it. I already have Tokico's. All I want is the height adjustability so that's why I'm 90% sure I'll go with the Ground Control conversion kit to be used with my Tokico's. I emailed GC to see what spring rates are their "sport ride" and "aggressive ride" springs, although I'm pretty sure I could order whatever rates I want though.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Just1Guy
1st Gear Member

I'm in the midst of having to revalve some "specially valved" Koni's from them for a customer's RX7 because the compression damping is all messed up (and even has a nice wave in the curve).
Don’t dislocate your shoulder patting your self on the back………for doing something that is considered incredibly basic for a suspension tuner....and has nothing to do with the thread.

You should go into politics. Your talent for self promotion is amazing.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Christ--here we go again..... And for about the 300th time I've got some solid footing to stand on with regards to my "self promotion". You just randomly pop up, make claims, get nailed and disappear.

And it is relevant to the subject. GC sold some "specially valved and custom" RX7 parts that suck. The compression changes a ton where Koni Sport singles show very little change to compression when the rebound is changed in OTS form, andit's got strange curves. Further it's a tiny piston shock. We are replacing it with a set of Race inserts for that car that offer rebound and a SEPARATE compression adjuster and a bigger piston. And they are perfect size. I wonder why GC just doesn't use those???? Maybe because they couldn't spin it as "special".

Again, not Mustang related, just the latest happenings with regard to GC and "custom" stuff.

I know I should shut up and let folks screw up, or in your case fool themselves into believing they know all the answers despite any evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 10-04-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Christ--here we go again..... And for about the 300th time I've got some solid footing to stand on with regards to my "self promotion". You just randomly pop up, make claims, get nailed and disappear.

And it is relevant to the subject. GC sold some "specially valved and custom" RX7 parts that suck. The compression changes a ton where Koni Sport singles show very little change to compression when the rebound is changed in OTS form, andit's got strange curves. Further it's a tiny piston shock. We are replacing it with a set of Race inserts for that car that offer rebound and a SEPARATE compression adjuster and a bigger piston. And they are perfect size. I wonder why GC just doesn't use those???? Maybe because they couldn't spin it as "special".

Again, not Mustang related, just the latest happenings with regard to GC and "custom" stuff.

I know I should shut up and let folks screw up, or in your case fool themselves into believing they know all the answers despite any evidence to the contrary.
One bad damper does not a bad company make. I don't think you'd appreciate anyone making sweeping generalizations about you and your company. Your parts aren't exactly "ground braking" ya' know.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Just1Guy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by steelcomp
One bad damper does not a bad company make. I don't think you'd appreciate anyone making sweeping generalizations about you and your company. Your parts aren't exactly "ground braking" ya' know.
Did you miss the memo? Sam doesn’t exist in the same reality as everyone else. Its pretty standard thinking for a narcissist.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Just1Guy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by steelcomp
Eibach makes some of the best springs in the world.
I agree 100%. Out of the thousands of springs I have tested Eibach’s by far have been the most consistent.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Just1Guy
1st Gear Member

And it is relevant to the subject. GC sold some "specially valved and custom" RX7 parts that suck. The compression changes a ton where Koni Sport singles show very little change to compression when the rebound is changed in OTS form, andit's got strange curves. Further it's a tiny piston shock. We are replacing it with a set of Race inserts for that car that offer rebound and a SEPARATE compression adjuster and a bigger piston.
Do you own a shock dyno? If so which one?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Wow, just wow. I don't own a shock dyno because I have manufacturers of the dampers, be it Koni, Ohlins, AST, Moton, Bilstein do my revalving and dyno work and so have no reason to have a $5k piece of equipment here. Most use Roehrig dyno's and I have a shock dyno file that's about 1" thick on all kinds of shocks from Penske's for Corvettes to Koni's for Mustangs.

My parts don't need to be ground breaking... and in fact I see no reason to reinvent the the round wheel most of them time. This is a classic case where someone wanted to make something "special" and in doing so chose a base damper with a smaller piston, that can't be valved digressively so they could put their name on it, when a better option (in my humble opinion) existed that has more valving options and a bigger piston.

One damper does not a company make, you are correct. But the RX7 example is another data point to add to the claim that the Mustang dampers from GC are Koni's "for a Mustang" that they specially valve. We know that's not the case they are Koni's adapted for the Mustang from something else, and valved the way GC wants. And I don't see the need to do either, especially when other instances of revalving lead to goofy damping curves and a ton of cross-talk between compression and rebound.

To each his own though--if that's what you want, then ok.

Quick Reply: Adjustable rear spring seats