Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brake Pad Help (baer Pro+/ C5-6 vette)

Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake Pad Help (baer Pro+/ C5-6 vette)

well apparently the pads that the Baer kit ships with are more street oriented than track, as i went through 7/10 of the pad in 1 weekend. im not sure which is the most recommended pad ( i recently went with HP+ in the rears) but i need to replace fronts relatively soon since i have another weekend coming up soon.

so for those of you with the Baer kit, or iirc there is someone here with a C5 vette as well, with what reputable site did you purchase your pads from.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

With street tires: Hawk HT-10 or Carbotech XP8
With r-comps: HT-10, DTC60, DTC70, Carbotect XP8 or XP10

There are some other choices but these are common.

Hawks are easier to find, lots of places carry them. Carbotech harder but many of us like them better because they are rotor/wheel friendly: dust isn't corrosive, easy on rotors, quieter. Price is strictly controlled you will not find more than 10% diff in price from any vendor.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

and where do you buy them from? is there any site like AM.com or brenspeed that sells/ships them relatively quickly?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I order my Carbotech pads directly from them. The Puskar boys are also happy to talk about your braking needs/experience, and they're very upfront about what they've got ready to ship and how long it will be until something is ready to go. I always ask for Mike Jr. as he's familiar with my experience, helps get orders expedited, etc.

I'm not surprised about the price. They're a smaller family-owned business, so their profit margin is likely always a sensitive issue. I get a modest discount from one of the track organizations I run, but mostly it just covers shipping.

Best,
-j
Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I've gotten a few sets from Essexparts.com They have a nice wizard to make finding the correct pads for aftermarket calipers easy. Tire rack sells Hawks but, unless I'm missing something, you have to search by vehicle rather than by aftermarket caliper. I think Sam Strano can get the Hawks for you. Call Jay Andrews (andrew-racing.com) and he can get the Hawks for you. For carbotech you can check saferacer.com or ctbrakes.com. I don't know the size of pads for the Baer brakes, if they are a standard size then all these places will stock them. If not they may be a special order and take a while.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Man those pads will be squeeling like a stuck pig until they heat up. Not saying I care but I just leave my HT-10s on since I dont really drive my car much on the street. But it is funny pulling up to a stop and folks thinking that your brakes are ready to give out. But I tell you what they definately stop on a dime and there is like 0 fade. Unlike the piece of Junk EBC yellow stuff pads I tried. But am sure they are not very friendly on the rotors but wear and tear is all part of the track game.

You can try these guys they are into vettes and should have track pads in stock. Kind of sucks ordering vette parts for my stang but hey if it stops quicker what the heck.
/www.lgmotorsports.com
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

FWIW, I carry more than just Hawk.

I also have Performance Friction, Porterfield, Ferodo, ATE, can do EBC (but generally do not). I can't get every part on the website (it's hard to keep up with what I do now since I work mostly alone). PLEASE call me if you are looking for something. I don't carry Carbotech, had some issues years ago which turned me off--though that was with the founder and not the current owners so maybe that's not a thing. But between the brands above I have no reason to be looking at others.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Sam, its Doug, i actually ended up ordering the Hawks from you.

and to the others i went with the HP + pads from hawk considering my next two track days will be on a not very brake-intense track. they should work fine considering that, and the rotors i have. next spring though i will have to do the track pad/ DD pad combo though.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
Sam, its Doug, i actually ended up ordering the Hawks from you.

and to the others i went with the HP + pads from hawk considering my next two track days will be on a not very brake-intense track. they should work fine considering that, and the rotors i have. next spring though i will have to do the track pad/ DD pad combo though.
As the old saying goes: "all we can do it try". They won't want to kill you, and being that you did say the track is known to be very easy on brakes, and that you have some big rotors I think they'll work out ok. Down the road we might require more (or we might the next time). The thing with brakes is everyone tends to use them differently. I've done lapping days with guys similar speed and had all sorts of different brake wear on the cars--sometimes even with similar compounds (because folks all use the brakes differently).