Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Thoughts on Eibach Swaybar Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:14 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

Default Thoughts on Eibach Swaybar Kit?

I've got a base model 2006 V6 with no rear sway bar and I'd like to upgrade for more stability.

The car is just a daily driver, and I don't do any competitive driving (maybe some casual autocross in the future), but I dont' like to excessive roll that the car has now.

I'm looking at the Eibach Swaybar Kit and wondering if anybody has any opinions on this product.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-swaybar-2005.html

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I think you'd be much happier with a set of my bars.... Please see this thread:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...sway-bars.html

Why do I think this? Well, for $10 difference (and I also sell Eibach bars... for $329.99/set http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...200&ModelID=35) You gain a few big things. Eibach's rear bar is solid and non-adjustable. Mine is hollow and 3 way adjustable.... For a $10 (well, $20 if you were to buy Eibach from me instead) difference. That's nothing to gain an adjustable rear bar IMHO.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:16 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't sure if the kit without endlinks comes with everything I need to install the swaybars considering I don't have a rear swaybar from factory.

From a daily driver stand point, would you suggest that I just pick up a rear swaybar? Or would that be detrimental in the long run?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IndecisiveS197
I wasn't sure if the kit without endlinks comes with everything I need to install the swaybars considering I don't have a rear swaybar from factory.

From a daily driver stand point, would you suggest that I just pick up a rear swaybar? Or would that be detrimental in the long run?
My kit has all the bushings and brackets for the rear bar... not only that--all the nuts and bolts you need (and don't have because the car is a V-6 not a GT)!

As for the rear bar only. Not a good idea, at least not with an aftermarket rear bar. V-6's have much smaller front bars than GT's do, adding an aftermarket rear bar designed to work with a 34-35mm front bar will be way, way too much for the front bar and make the car very prone to oversteer. Also it will feel a little disjointed as the front and rear roll stiffness will be out of whack, and the front will kind of flop over and then the rear will respond much quicker. Even if you are under the limit (which would be where oversteer shows up) the feel won't be very nice. You definitely want a kit, not just a rear bar.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Ditto Sam's reply. Do not install a rear bar only. Could lead to oversteer. Not good for non-competetive driving on the street. Change both front and rear as a package. Don't feel the need for an adjustable rear or front as you may be back in the same boat by dialing in the oversteer you don't want. For the street, can't see any problems with the FRPP or eibach set-ups. If you do not want to experiment set the front bar to middle position and be happy. If you order Sam's adjustable set up make sure he gives you his best guess as to where to set the rear bar for your intended street use.

Cheers.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Having adjustable bars isn't a scary thing. The idea is you set them, see what you think and have the option to change them. The way my bars are sized, the rear bar even on full stiff isn't scary with the front full soft--though that's more free than I prefer most times (that changes depending a huge number of factors, springs, tires, the roads, how you drive, etc).

The point here is that my bars are price competitive with the others. They offer things the others don't, the rear bar is lighter too. Now if we were talking a huge amount more money-that'd be different. You don't need to use the adjustment if you don't want, but it's there if you do.... and again, my rear bar comes with all the hardware he doesn't have on the car from Ford too.

Let's put this another way.... Eibach bars save $20. But have none of the nuts and bolts for the rear bar he'll need. He'll spend maybe $10 on that stuff, and have a heavier rear bar that is what it is, no option to to change it. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:29 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the replies/help
Old 11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Good point on the nuts and bolts.

Cheers.