Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Strano Performance Thanksgiving Weekend Specials

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I wish I could ship to Canada for free, but I just can't--it costs way too much.
No sweat Sam, I thought it was a little too much to ask.

I'm curious how you would compare the Koni STR.T and sport shocks. My plan is to use Steeda sport springs, your adjustable sway bars, and either sport or STR.T shocks. What are STR.Ts going to get me over stock dampers?

On one hand I really appreciate a buttoned-down, well controlled ride.
On the other, my racing days are behind me. I just do track days and autoX for fun, nothing serious. And 350 bucks is an extra day at the track!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe

I'm curious how you would compare the Koni STR.T and sport shocks. My plan is to use Steeda sport springs, your adjustable sway bars, and either sport or STR.T shocks. What are STR.Ts going to get me over stock dampers?

On the other, my racing days are behind me. I just do track days and autoX for fun, nothing serious. And 350 bucks is an extra day at the track!
My understanding from Sam's previous posts is that the STR.Ts are like the Sports/Yellows on full soft. For track days, TMP & Mosport, I run my Yellows 1 from full hard on the front and 1/2 from full hard rear. There is about 2/14 turns of adjustment.

My recommendation is for the Yellows if you are going to track the car.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Damn, I KNEW I forgot something today... it was answering this post. Better late than never I guess. I'm sorry.

STR.T's are what I think stock dampers on a performance car should be. Just more composed and tied-down than stock. Also a bit better on the ride side.

The buttoned-down/tied-down comes from rebound damping, which is what Sports adjust. Having that option allows you to change the ride and level of control to suit you best. The fact you stated you like that buttoned down feeling is pretty indicative of someone who might want more than STR.T's can give. STR.T's are nice non-adjustables, sort of geared for folks that aren't as picky or understanding of the changes rebound changes can offer.

I think sleeper08 is right on, and I also believe Sports will be more to your liking long term.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

On the other, my racing days are behind me. I just do track days and autoX for fun, nothing serious.
I'd put the level of "seriousness" associated with tweaking the damping for when you're out "playing" about on par with airing the tires up a couple of psi for the same activities. Takes all of a minute or two, and you'll probably have to have the hood up and the trunk open to empty and pass event tech inspection anyway.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-01-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a lot, guys. The STR.Ts sound good, but I think it will be yellows for me. I bought the car to enjoy on the track, so I'm willing to make sacrifices on the street. It sounds like the yellows will work everywhere as long as I have a screw driver.

Sleeper08, Mosport is by far my favourite track. There's not much better than hitting 220 kph down the back "straight" and over the hill into turn 8, 9. 10. The car better be buttoned down! I'll definitely be out with Apex, and hopefully with "Mustangs at Mosport." TMP is a little tight for my taste - I prefer Shannonville. That said, I'm sure I'll hit TMP sometime next year.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Thanks a lot, guys. The STR.Ts sound good, but I think it will be yellows for me. I bought the car to enjoy on the track, so I'm willing to make sacrifices on the street. It sounds like the yellows will work everywhere as long as I have a screw driver.

Sleeper08, Mosport is by far my favourite track. There's not much better than hitting 220 kph down the back "straight" and over the hill into turn 8, 9. 10. The car better be buttoned down! I'll definitely be out with Apex, and hopefully with "Mustangs at Mosport." TMP is a little tight for my taste - I prefer Shannonville. That said, I'm sure I'll hit TMP sometime next year.
My favourite corners at Mosport are turns 2 and 4. I'm still not going hard enough into turn 8 and tend to loose time there. I've not run an Apex event but have been at the last three Mustangs At Mosport. My first event at Mosport next year will be Frank Ewald's event on May 27.

http://www.frankewald.com

You should come out for one the Exotic Car Days at TMP - Chasing down Vipers is a blast, espcially when they spin right in front of you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/frederic.../2/GyjKbifGGP4

http://www.youtube.com/user/frederic.../1/TGfw46P-UqE
Old 12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

2 is awesome. 4 is awesome. Every corner is special. I lose time in every corner, but I'm the most frightened going into 2, and I never get 4 right. It's a blast though, and I'm only "racing" myself so I always win.

I checked out Frank Ewald, and it looks good. I might qualify for the Experienced group, with a couple years of 2 wheel road racing, many track days, and some time at Mosport. We'll see.

The Apex guys put on a great day. They attract a lot of Porsches, 'vettes (even a zr1), the occasional viper. Once last year there was an F430. Very cool. He wasn't going too fast, but if I had a $250k car, I would probably take it easy too. Instruction is optional and included in the price, plus lunch and snacks all day.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
My favourite corners at Mosport are turns 2 and 4. I'm still not going hard enough into turn 8 and tend to loose time there. I've not run an Apex event but have been at the last three Mustangs At Mosport. My first event at Mosport next year will be Frank Ewald's event on May 27.

You should come out for one the Exotic Car Days at TMP - Chasing down Vipers is a blast, espcially when they spin right in front of you.

Man, that guy was trying really hard to spin. Mission accomplished.

You are driving one seriously quick car, sticking right with an ACR. Wow. And driving it very well, I might add. You're out of my league. See you at the track.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08

Your car is sick quick down the straightaways. Even though the audio is pretty awful, the blower sounds awesome.

I'm happy today. Strano Claus showed up at my house with some Koni Yellows and a Fays2 Watts Link. My BBR billet LCA's showed up today as well. Hopefully, I'm getting it all installed on Friday.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM
George Zimmer
Banned

Thanks for the offer!

Quick Reply: Strano Performance Thanksgiving Weekend Specials