Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2011 GT handling upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Default 2011 GT handling upgrades

I am picking up a new 2011 GT in mid December (I'm coming from a 2008 M3). I track my cars 6-8 times a year, and am planning to upgrade the suspension of my new GT in the spring. The car will also be a daily driver, so it can't be too extreme. I though the FRP kit would work for me, but some of Sam Strano's posts make me feel otherwise.

Can anybody suggest lowering springs, shocks, sway bars, etc that will work together? Here's what I'm thinking from Sam's web site:
  • Steeda Sport Springs for 2005+ Mustang;
  • koni yellows;
  • Sway Bar Package 1 (3-position Adjustable/Tubular Front & Rear Set)
  • Billet Swaybar bracket + bushing for 35mm front bars
Any other suggestions?

--
Cheers,
Simon.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Simon---

that's what Ford is counting on... but we can do way, way better.

My bars come with a much beefier front mounting bracket, so the billets aren't required--but you can still do them if you like.

I do feel the bar set up on the Brembo cars specifically are not ideal... The rear is just too big and you have no tuning options. I swapped my car's bars for my adjustables last week (well the front was on the car already) and it's much nicer to drive quickly now.

I have Koni Sports on my car too, so can't argue that one. I would recommend you swap to at least Steeda HD Mounts though so you can get some camber adjustment while dumping the weak Ford mounts. Also at this time there is not a 2011 specific strut out there from anyone, all swaps will require a change of mounts to 2010 and older ones.... you can make a spacer for them to fit the '11 mounts, but again left with no adjustment to the camber and a weak from Ford part.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Sam.

So I take it you have adjustable bars front and back. Are you running a bit softer at the back for traction?

How does this setup compare with stock on the road? How much stiffer is it? About the stiffest car I used as a DD was a mini cooper s. In comparison, my M3 was a pure luxury car.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

My bars are both adjustable (and both hollow too, the stock rear bar is solid and heavier).

I run softer at the back because the 24mm rear bar is just too stiff for my taste and on the street when hustling the car tends to make the rear end be a little too active. Also if you have less than perfect roads, when you drop on tire into a dip or over a bump the back of the car is slightly more upset since the body reacts to just too much. I've always felt that 24/25mm rear bars were just too much for this car, even back when they were coming with 18 and 20mm rear bars stock.

I just feel they overshot the mark and I know I find the car much better to drive with the 35/22 combination. When I developed the bars, I wanted adjustment... both so I could make changes when I'm racing if I needed to, but also because different folks have different combinations and tastes too. I wanted something that gave the largest and MOST USEABLE range of adjustment... There are other bars that are adjustable, but that are so stiff that it's not helpful.

The ride is good. The springs are the only detriment to the ride quality, but the reason I use so many of those particular springs is I feel they are the best available for balancing ride, handling and looks. I want to hurt ride the least possible that part of what makes a car work over imperfect roads. Also you would be adding dampers that deal with the harshness (sharp quick hits) better. Overall many feel the ride, while a bit firmer is actually improved...... Think about the BMW, wasn't soft--but rode pretty well considering. I think it rides much better than a Cooper S, those are damned stiff and the short wheelbase makes them hobby-horse a bit.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

You're right about the BMW - probably the best suspended car I've driven, but certainly not soft. The mini, on the other hand, was brutal! But I loved it.

The bars seem to suit my style. I like a little bit of push in my cars, especially those that are easily corrected with throttle. I tend to get on the gas very early (ex motorcycle racer) which seems to counter-act the push. And I certainly don't object to a smoother ride ...

How are the seats in your car? I'm fairly thin, so the stock seats seem to really lack support. I'm considering Corbeau seats - any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ansibe
You're right about the BMW - probably the best suspended car I've driven, but certainly not soft. The mini, on the other hand, was brutal! But I loved it.

The bars seem to suit my style. I like a little bit of push in my cars, especially those that are easily corrected with throttle. I tend to get on the gas very early (ex motorcycle racer) which seems to counter-act the push. And I certainly don't object to a smoother ride ...

How are the seats in your car? I'm fairly thin, so the stock seats seem to really lack support. I'm considering Corbeau seats - any thoughts?
The stock seats? Well, I'm not fairly thin---and the seats really lack support. Corbeau seats are cheap crap. It's a line I actually carry, but make no mistake they are not anywhere near say Sparco quality. More like the no-name seats you see for $189 most of the time.

I'd recommend Sparco, Recaro, or Cobra--those are all quality seats. They aren't flimsy, and use much better materials (foam, fabric, etc.).
Old 11-26-2010, 01:45 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Those no-name seats, are they all made in China? If so, I will make sure to not buy them just because they suck, I will make doubly sure I will not buy them just because they are from China and basically are undercutting the prices of legitimately good seats.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

All of them? I have no idea..... I'd guess the vast majority of them are as that's where you tend to go for cheap things.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, Sam. I take it you use an after-market seat then. Do you have a brand preference? I sat in a fixed-back Recaro mounted in an e46 M3, and it was great, but pricey. I tried a fixed back Corbeau in a mustang but it didn't feel nearly as good. I don't have anything against China, but I still won't buy no-name seats!

Are there any mounting (i.e. electronic) issues with mustangs?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I have not changed the seat in my '11. I had a Sparco Evo's in my '07 and in my '01 Camaro. Not sure what I'll do with this car yet. Likely Sparco, not sure I'll go with a race seat though this time.

None of those seats are electric, and you will get airbag lights (and obviously lose the side airbag itself)....

Quick Reply: 2011 GT handling upgrades